Sign in with
Your question

Write protected micro sd card format quickly

Last response: in Storage
April 22, 2012 5:49:46 PM

Hello,
hot to format micro sd card.error when formating is: window was unable to format card
a b G Storage
April 22, 2012 6:07:05 PM

typically when a SD card goes into write protected state it's because the card is about to fail completely. This is a safety measure so you can recover data before it completely dies.
One last try you can use is the SD Card formatter from the SD association. Works with any manufacturer's card
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

If this can't format, then the card needs replacing.

Oh, there is one other cause - if you've put this in a full sized SD card adapter, and that adapter has the "lock" switch put down, it will also cause this.
m
l
April 24, 2012 2:30:50 AM

Oh dear....

OK do this... format the card as FAT32.
Then format again as NTFS.
Solved.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 24, 2012 10:00:57 AM

fishypops said:
Oh dear....

OK do this... format the card as FAT32.
Then format again as NTFS.
Solved.

Oh dear is right... :heink: 

Sorry, mate. But formatting any removable storage to NTFS is a no no.
Plus he stated that if he tried a FAT32 format, the system said unable to format. This isn't going to change if NTFS is selected.

The best format tool was linked in my 1st post - SD Association format utility. If that format, then nothing will be able to format.
m
l
March 21, 2013 1:36:48 AM

anilawgp said:
Hello,
hot to format micro sd card.error when formating is: window was unable to format card

it is no formating plz tell about any free software for this
m
l
March 21, 2013 1:42:22 AM

plz tell me about
m
l
July 6, 2014 11:22:47 AM

Had a similar a similar problem reformatting a 64 G Micro SD card. Windows would claim it was write protected no matter which way the switch was placed, on ANY mini/sd converter. Tried the SD card formatting tool as well with no success. Finally tried a microSD/USB converter and it worked like a charm. Nice thing about the SD card formatting tool: It allowed me to see the progress of the reformatting... With the Windows tool, you can't see if it's working, you just have to wait till it tells you it's done.
m
l
!