Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

I5 3570k @ 4.8ghz 75c hyper 212 evo

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 1, 2013 9:09:14 PM

Have spent the past few hours fiddling around with overclocks on my new i5 and my hyper 212 evo..

What do you guys recommend max overclock at?

Don't want to really go any higher than 4.8ghz now. So far i have got 4.8ghz around 75c on a prime95 test for about half an hour this is at 1.328v is this normal?

Would love some feedback! is 75c too high? What should be a highish but safe temperature
February 1, 2013 9:12:04 PM

75c is way to high the 212 EVO is meant for overclocks around 4.4Ghz(btw nice voltage)highish but safe is 55c maybe 60c at maximum
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2013 9:12:14 PM

There is no way your getting only 75c on an EVO @ 1.328v...no way!!
Related resources
February 1, 2013 9:17:48 PM

redeemer said:
There is no way your getting only 75c on an EVO @ 1.328v...no way!!

I swear to god i am :) :)  Is this really good?? I would screenshot but it's too much effort
February 1, 2013 9:53:57 PM

bradderzd1994 said:
I swear to god i am :) :)  Is this really good?? I would screenshot but it's too much effort

for 4.8Ghz yes but still try 4.4Ghz with 1.29v
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2013 9:58:09 PM

I think you should screens shot this because those temps are extremely good almost unbelievable.
February 1, 2013 10:01:48 PM

I do have 4 custom fans in my PC if this helps much?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2013 10:06:49 PM

What are your ambient temps? Load program being used? Monitoring software?
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2013 10:36:10 PM

75c is high. You should get a better cooling solution like a noctua d14
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 12:03:21 AM

Are you guys MAD 75c is amazing @ 1.33v Prime95 load. Your temps are better than fine. Ivy is good for 105c max temp obviously not 24/7 but your load prime95 temp of 75c is excellent.

Everyday use your temps will be lower so you do not have to worry about it can congrats you got one heck of a chip!

Some of you may want to brush up on your knowledge 75c again is fine!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 12:56:12 AM

^^ still crazy temps thats why i asked for the ambient temp. crazy good chip to be running that high that low.
a c 745 à CPUs
a c 294 K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 1:05:06 AM

Noctua DH-14 is incredible i have my 3570k at 5.4 ghz stable 1.46 volts..lol

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 2:30:34 AM

^ Now that is pushing it.screen shot of 30min stress test?
a c 198 à CPUs
a c 145 K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 2:56:44 AM

That's very strange....there's a lot of great and expensive coolers out there which cant touch those numbers .... it sounds like you are reporting the CPU tin number rather then the temps of the individual cores....cores can be 20C higher.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1200020/individual-core-temp...

Also make sure you have only ONE monitoring program running.....Try installing CoreTemp and then OCCT. Run OCCT (no need to load coretemp) and it will both load and monitor your CPU while graphing the results over time.

NOTE: I have seen CPU tin be higher at idle or when there's a BIOS error.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 8:46:59 AM

Yea, if anything your temperatures sound a little TOO low. I hit 86C with a cooler master EVO during prime95 4.4ghz @ 1.265V

I don't think I got the best chip, and I know I didn't buy the greatest cooler. Nonetheless I see my temps about average, yours are like incredibly good.

Please confirm :

1) You are using Coretemp or Realtemp
2) I am guessing you are running prime95 blend, NOT large FFT?
February 15, 2013 5:06:25 PM

Here's a screenshot of mine to prove what he's getting is possible. I might've gotten lucky with my chip too.

i5 3570K @ 4.8 GHz w/ 1.248 V

Cooler: Enermax ETS T40

30 min prime 95: 87 C max temp

link to pic:
http://tinypic.com/r/nycs1v/6


I'm not sure if I'll keep it at this clock or not yet. I don't do folding or CPU intense tasks very often, so I'm not too worried about the high temp. Maybe in a couple years I'll delid it and go crazy with the clock, but for now I'm really happy with it.

EDIT: should also have mentioned that 4.8 GHz / 1.3+ V at only 75C is pretty incredible. If you really want to do a stress test you should try IntelBurnTest at standard settings (although NOT at your current clock or it might hit the throttling temp). Let us know how it goes if you get a chance!
February 24, 2013 11:31:40 PM

aPad said:
Here's a screenshot of mine to prove what he's getting is possible. I might've gotten lucky with my chip too.

i5 3570K @ 4.8 GHz w/ 1.248 V

Cooler: Enermax ETS T40

30 min prime 95: 87 C max temp

link to pic:
http://tinypic.com/r/nycs1v/6


I'm not sure if I'll keep it at this clock or not yet. I don't do folding or CPU intense tasks very often, so I'm not too worried about the high temp. Maybe in a couple years I'll delid it and go crazy with the clock, but for now I'm really happy with it.

EDIT: should also have mentioned that 4.8 GHz / 1.3+ V at only 75C is pretty incredible. If you really want to do a stress test you should try IntelBurnTest at standard settings (although NOT at your current clock or it might hit the throttling temp). Let us know how it goes if you get a chance!


Dang... 4.8ghz at 1.248v? I'm trying to do 4.8ghz on mine at 1.272v and get stable... Have only gotten 30 minutes into prime95 blend test with a max of 86c on a hyper212 evo. Mind telling me what changes you've made in the asrock uefi? I'm on an asrock z77-pro4 though.
February 25, 2013 1:22:36 AM

Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here by posting an outside link, but I used a great guide for Asrock extreme mobos.

The link is: http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclockin...

Good luck w/ your OC. I'm sure after reading through that guide you'll be able to get it stable. If you're booting up in Windows and can get Prime going for a period of time that's usually a sign you're on the right track. Also, check out the windows error code section of the guide for more focused troubleshooting for BSODs.
February 26, 2013 1:07:06 AM

whats the room temps like?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 3:45:51 PM

Stantheman... 75C is definitely NOT too high. If you knew a lot about Ivy Bridge chips you would know this. If you don't know a whole lot about what your posting about, don't post. Normally you shouldn't go past 90c. If you can keep it around 80c average that is good. Put yeah man, at 4.8Ghz with my 3570k an a Scythe Ninja 3 cooler (which is better than a Hyper212) gets up to 85c in Prime95 with a 1.42 Vcore. So your chip must be the best chip I've ever heard/read of.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 3:47:51 PM

I highly recommend trying Intel Burn In Test to get your real/TRUE temps. Your temps will be about 15c higher than they are now.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2013 12:25:04 PM

ericjohn004 said:
I highly recommend trying Intel Burn In Test to get your real/TRUE temps. Your temps will be about 15c higher than they are now.


I personally disagree. The point isn't to get your CPU hot, it's to test stability. IBT make Ivy run too damn hot. I'll stay with Prime95 myself, do a 12 hour large fft test and call it good.
March 3, 2013 3:18:16 PM

Adroid said:
I personally disagree. The point isn't to get your CPU hot, it's to test stability. IBT make Ivy run too damn hot. I'll stay with Prime95 myself, do a 12 hour large fft test and call it good.



You're right the point is to test stability, but in my experience Prime95 stability isn't always a reliable indicator of all-program stability. For instance, I've had settings that get 24 hour runs of prime 95 stability, but when I open a game or folding program the system crashes within a few minutes (or when switching between programs sometimes Vdroop kicks in when intel speed step changes the CPU clock from low to hi or vice versa). Personally I like to test in a variety of circumstances just to stability in a diverse set of demanding applications. I know this isn't necessary, but the point I was making is that no one stress program is THE indicator of stability.
March 25, 2013 6:02:02 AM

Man, 4.4ghz on my 3570k and my Hyper 212 at 1.3v is 75-77C. 4.8ghz at 75C is insane in my opinion. I call bull snot on this kid!!!!!!!
April 3, 2013 9:20:59 PM

I get 38 Celsius at idle lol! What case fans do you guys think are good?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 4, 2013 3:59:21 PM

Prime95 will Never CRASH MY cpu. I absolutely must use IBT. And even after using IBT sometimes my games will still crash. This is why I recommend IBT.

For those of you with 4.8 and 5.4Ghz overclocks. I'd bet you any money you weren't truly stable. Yeah I can run 4.8Ghz at only 1.35v while running 30 passes of IBT and prime95. But it doesn't mean I'm stable. To be fully stable at the 4.6Ghz I'm at, it takes 1.40v. Yeah maybe I just got an average chip, but I gotta 200$ UD5H MoBo too and it's suppose to be great for overclocking. So before you go around claiming high overclocks the very least you should do is make sure you can run 250 passes of IBT along with every game and benchmark program you own. THEN come say your at 5.4Ghz. To be honest I don't believe you can even boot at 5.4Ghz with only 1.46v. You must have gotten Intel to make you your own personal 3570k!
a b à CPUs
a c 81 K Overclocking
April 4, 2013 7:27:00 PM

Adroid said:
ericjohn004 said:
I highly recommend trying Intel Burn In Test to get your real/TRUE temps. Your temps will be about 15c higher than they are now.


I personally disagree. The point isn't to get your CPU hot, it's to test stability. IBT make Ivy run too damn hot. I'll stay with Prime95 myself, do a 12 hour large fft test and call it good.


So as long as you pass Large FFTs (which don't completely test stability), who cares if your cores start hitting 105C?
a c 198 à CPUs
a c 145 K Overclocking
April 5, 2013 1:01:35 AM

aPad said:
Here's a screenshot of mine to prove what he's getting is possible. I might've gotten lucky with my chip too.!


How does a screenie of a CPU at 87C show that 75C at 4.8Ghz is possible ?

July 9, 2013 8:26:45 AM

is that good im using hyper 212 evo push and pull anmd another 5 fans on my case one in front for intake side panel intake 2 uptop for exhaust 1 on back for exhaust , also using cermaique 2 thermal compound dont know if thats any good but i do also have some artic silver 5 and i havent even tried to delid

are these numbers any good ?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 8:54:34 AM

+1 ^^^^^^


it clearly shows 87 for the core temps which to me means more than the package temps. my package temps are higher than my core temps by far

i would not be running it that hot, i wonder what temps you see gaming?
July 9, 2013 10:08:12 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
aPad said:
Here's a screenshot of mine to prove what he's getting is possible. I might've gotten lucky with my chip too.!


How does a screenie of a CPU at 87C show that 75C at 4.8Ghz is possible ?



You're right! I misspoke. All I was trying to demonstrate was that a "stable" clock of 4.8 Ghz in that general temperature range was possible. As it turns out, I ended up having to decrease the clock to 4.7 Ghz and up the voltage to 1.32 V (which increased max temp to 94 C with IBT) to get the system stable in all games, so I retract my original post/data. I was so excited to get up to 4.8 Ghz on air cooling I posted prematurely.

Any word from the original poster?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 10:18:50 AM

Golden chip and 75C isnt high. TJMAX is like 100C and the chip will throttle at it. OP anything under 88C in prime is fine
July 12, 2013 1:32:57 AM

Jay Diaz said:
is that good im using hyper 212 evo push and pull anmd another 5 fans on my case one in front for intake side panel intake 2 uptop for exhaust 1 on back for exhaust , also using cermaique 2 thermal compound dont know if thats any good but i do also have some artic silver 5 and i havent even tried to delid

are these numbers any good ?


Package only 55W at max? When i run prime i get over 80W. The 3570k i had did 4.6ghz @ 1.36v if i remeber right. Tested 6GB of my ram in prime95 and max temp over 90C, 95C @ max. This with Package 84-85W I've 4 intake and 4 exhaust fans, and nhd14 with 2x NF-F12 fans.

You only stress 2/3 of your CPU like i see it, and nothing wrong with that as long you are satisfied. The settings people using when they stress testing are so different, that's why it's hard to say if it's good or not, it's up to you to decide
September 28, 2013 10:24:24 AM

i used the preset overclock setting in my bios of 4.4 ghz on my asrock extreme 4 motherboard for my i5-3570k my temps never go passed 71 degrees using the hyper 212 evo, during the summer in my room the ambient temperature is high as hell though my room will usually get up to 80 degrees at normal (all those damn windows that face the sun most of the day and my computer along with a 26 inch flat screen doesn't help)
some of the cpuid readings are the cores maxed out at 71 and the package at 71 also, although core #2,3 are a bit cooler and stay up to 6 degrees cooler so i feel i probably could have done a better job with the thermal paste. the most ive seen my package use is 66 watts. my question is , "is the package the total power consumtions, what about the IA cores. that usually goes up to 55 watts. also my max cpu vcore doesnt even go up to 1.25 this is really weird imo considering i oced a ghz. since i used the preset.

also under temperatures the cputin and aux tin said i had a max of 127 celcius and the tmpin3 had 164 and tmpin4 had 132, there had to be some type of misread or something because im pretty sure those temps are impossible i mean come on 327 degrees F
September 28, 2013 10:24:27 AM

i used the preset overclock setting in my bios of 4.4 ghz on my asrock extreme 4 motherboard for my i5-3570k my temps never go passed 71 degrees using the hyper 212 evo, during the summer in my room the ambient temperature is high as hell though my room will usually get up to 80 degrees at normal (all those damn windows that face the sun most of the day and my computer along with a 26 inch flat screen doesn't help)
some of the cpuid readings are the cores maxed out at 71 and the package at 71 also, although core #2,3 are a bit cooler and stay up to 6 degrees cooler so i feel i probably could have done a better job with the thermal paste. the most ive seen my package use is 66 watts. my question is , "is the package the total power consumtions, what about the IA cores. that usually goes up to 55 watts. also my max cpu vcore doesnt even go up to 1.25 this is really weird imo considering i oced a ghz. since i used the preset.

also under temperatures the cputin and aux tin said i had a max of 127 celcius and the tmpin3 had 164 and tmpin4 had 132, there had to be some type of misread or something because im pretty sure those temps are impossible i mean come on 327 degrees F
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2013 5:38:55 AM

These are all insane numbers in my opinion. For mine 4.4Ghz @1.2V my 3570k never goes over 42'C during half hour stress tests. I have no clue why mine runs so much cooler than everyone elses. I think it must be my chipset im using. Im on the Hyper 212 Evo cooler in Push Pull with dual 120mm fans. Why does mine stay so cool

Id be glad to post a screenshot for anyone interested
a c 745 à CPUs
a c 294 K Overclocking
October 1, 2013 8:06:19 AM

It's not push \ pull because a second fan doesn't improve the performance of a 212.You just have a great chip.
November 20, 2013 1:38:27 PM

I was just running my 3570k @ 4.6Ghz on 1.26V. While running prime 95 large tft I'm getting 65-75 throughout my cores. I'm running a 212 evo with the single stock fan. But after trying 4.8Ghz at 1.3v I had to reset the CMOS.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2013 12:40:09 AM

Mind throwin me your settings :p  lol I've got my 3570k at 4.4Ghz and I have to reset CMOS anytime I even go near 4.5. Overclocking is something i'm more used to on AMD because i've used Am3 boards for the past 3 years.

My voltage is 1.25 and ram is set to default at 800mhz (DDR3-1600) with ram voltage on stock. I'd really like to find what's holding me back.
a b à CPUs
a c 81 K Overclocking
November 22, 2013 8:34:48 AM

Every chip is different. Some just overclock better than others.

What voltage did you try booting 4.5 GHz with, Nitro?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2013 6:21:36 PM

Nitro192 said:
Mind throwin me your settings :p  lol I've got my 3570k at 4.4Ghz and I have to reset CMOS anytime I even go near 4.5. Overclocking is something i'm more used to on AMD because i've used Am3 boards for the past 3 years.

My voltage is 1.25 and ram is set to default at 800mhz (DDR3-1600) with ram voltage on stock. I'd really like to find what's holding me back.


At first glance, looks like more voltage would be the obvious solution. Make sure all the power savings garbage is off. I'm not a offset voltage overclocker, so you if are - look elsewhere. If your temps are ok you should be able to do try 1.26 or more without any issues.

Welcome to the group of guys who didn't get the best 3570K, like me :) 
At any rate I had to up voltage and reduce my clock until I ended up with a rock solid overclock at 4.3ghz. Still runs like a champ though, I am quite happy with it.

When I say rock solid I mean no WHEA errors in your event logger. You should research it if you don't know what I am talking about.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2013 9:19:18 PM

Ohh..this is depressing.Latest 3570K i got takes 1.37 for 4.5-ish Ghz.
I'd like to see bradderzd's Windows\System screen.
I wonder if he's using Service Pack 1?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2013 5:41:15 AM

schmuckley said:
Ohh..this is depressing.Latest 3570K i got takes 1.37 for 4.5-ish Ghz.
I'd like to see bradderzd's Windows\System screen.
I wonder if he's using Service Pack 1?


I have found that my 3570K has a invisible "wall" at 4.3 GHZ. I can get it stable at higher (4.5ghz, got it to boot at 4.6 or so), but pushing the chip that hard with so much extra voltage is not worth the 200 mhz performance gain.

Overclocking always has been a risk/reward type of thing to me. i5 running smooth as butter at 4.3GHZ is still faster than 99% of any other processor on the market at stock clocks, at least for my gaming purposes.

I would rather be a little on the "safe" side and run my chip where the sweet spot is BEFORE the voltage "wall", the CPU may have a longer life span that way..
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2013 7:35:14 AM

Adroid said:
schmuckley said:
Ohh..this is depressing.Latest 3570K i got takes 1.37 for 4.5-ish Ghz.
I'd like to see bradderzd's Windows\System screen.
I wonder if he's using Service Pack 1?


I have found that my 3570K has a invisible "wall" at 4.3 GHZ. I can get it stable at higher (4.5ghz, got it to boot at 4.6 or so), but pushing the chip that hard with so much extra voltage is not worth the 200 mhz performance gain.


Overclocking always has been a risk/reward type of thing to me. i5 running smooth as butter at 4.3GHZ is still faster than 99% of any other processor on the market at stock clocks, at least for my gaming purposes.

I would rather be a little on the "safe" side and run my chip where the sweet spot is BEFORE the voltage "wall", the CPU may have a longer life span that way..



very true the performance Gain is minimal and its not worth running a high voltage to achieve it.

4.9 is my safe limit any higher I have to go way over 1.5v
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2013 7:11:28 PM

ihog said:
Every chip is different. Some just overclock better than others.

What voltage did you try booting 4.5 GHz with, Nitro?


Well right now i have the voltage at 1.25 at 4.4Ghz and during stress tests i generally stay below 68'C And when i tried to go to 4.5 I put the voltage all the way up to 1.295 so basically 1.3 and yeah had to reset CMOS every time.

My temps hover at around 65, I've got a phantom 410 case with 8 Cooler master fans (7x120mm and 1x140mm) and a hyper 212 cooler so I think i can push it to at least 4.6 and keep it under 75.

Should i go higher than 1.3?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2013 7:53:03 AM

Nitro192 said:
ihog said:
Every chip is different. Some just overclock better than others.

What voltage did you try booting 4.5 GHz with, Nitro?


Well right now i have the voltage at 1.25 at 4.4Ghz and during stress tests i generally stay below 68'C And when i tried to go to 4.5 I put the voltage all the way up to 1.295 so basically 1.3 and yeah had to reset CMOS every time.

My temps hover at around 65, I've got a phantom 410 case with 8 Cooler master fans (7x120mm and 1x140mm) and a hyper 212 cooler so I think i can push it to at least 4.6 and keep it under 75.

Should i go higher than 1.3?


Sounds like your voltage "wall" is at 4.4ghz. Mine was at 4.3 ghz.

Truth be told you could probably add ALOT more voltage and get stable at 4.5ghz.. But in my personal opinion it's not worth it.

Before going there, you say your temps hover around 65? That seems really HIGH for idle temps, and really LOW for temps under full load. Do you have all the offset voltage disabled? What temp monitor program are you using? You should have CoreTemp or equivilant.

I am a bit concerned about your 65 "hovering". Something doesn't sound right.
November 28, 2013 2:35:18 PM

Hey guys. I am running 4.6ghz stable at 1.28V right now. Just curious what the highest safe 24/7 voltage is?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2013 3:00:48 PM

full_out said:
Hey guys. I am running 4.6ghz stable at 1.28V right now. Just curious what the highest safe 24/7 voltage is?


From my personal experience and reading, your temperatures will prevent a higher overclock before voltage will on an Ivy bridge system.

Consult the intel website for max recommended voltage. I'm too lazy to do it for you atm.
December 10, 2013 12:15:33 PM

aPad said:
Adroid said:
I personally disagree. The point isn't to get your CPU hot, it's to test stability. IBT make Ivy run too damn hot. I'll stay with Prime95 myself, do a 12 hour large fft test and call it good.



You're right the point is to test stability, but in my experience Prime95 stability isn't always a reliable indicator of all-program stability. For instance, I've had settings that get 24 hour runs of prime 95 stability, but when I open a game or folding program the system crashes within a few minutes (or when switching between programs sometimes Vdroop kicks in when intel speed step changes the CPU clock from low to hi or vice versa). Personally I like to test in a variety of circumstances just to stability in a diverse set of demanding applications. I know this isn't necessary, but the point I was making is that no one stress program is THE indicator of stability.


I completely agree. I have had the same issue with Prime95. You run hours of 100% stable testing and the moment you open a game you crash.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2013 2:06:33 PM

Well I had a similar experience with Aida, but never with Prime95 large fft.
I ran a prime 95 test for 24 hours with my last build, and I remember it crashing literally once in six years. My new build I did a 12 hour prime test. I also upped voltage until whea errors went away. This PC has not crashed yet to date. I'm happy with my experience with p95
!