What's on your SSD vs HDD?

Azok

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I am new to the multiple hard drive scene, I am building a computer with a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.

I have been wondering about if I should have my drivers on my SSD (seems like I should), and possibly my main browser.

I know I want my OS (obviously) and diablo3 on my SSD (and w/e game is the flavor of the month).

I just want to ask what YOU put on YOUR drives. And any suggestions for me?

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I have my windows installation and all non-gaming programs (e.g. Chrome, Office, iTunes). I have all my data and games (e.g. steam folder) on my mechanical drives. Putting games on an SSD will only speed up load times and will not help FPS.

G

with 120 gigs i would put ALL my programs on the SSD and move my user files (documents, movies, music) and any cache (such as firefox, chrome)and swap files to the platter (1TB HD)

i have had 256 gig HDs before without having it half full with all my programs.

You want your OS and applications on your HDD. Anything that you use frequently as well as any games that stream textures or other game data (basically anything that's a console port).

Applications such as MS Office, Visio, Photoshop, Firefox, Chrome, etc... should be on the SSD

Your media (movies, TV shows, music) should be on your platter drive for sure.

If you use Steam you should install it to the platter drive and use directory junctions (similar but not identical to shortcuts) to move certain games to the SSD (I did this for Skyrim).

Bulk data such as stored downloads, backups, etc... should be on your platter drive

I hope this helps!

G

I asked this question a little while ago in the SSD section:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=32&post=281881&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

What about Google Earth? It seems like that would do a lot of writing to the SSD. If C: is SSD and D: is HDD, should the program go on D:\program files, or should / could Google Earth be configured to store temps on D with program on C ?
if you would read what is on this thread and the one you referred to, that you already marked as solved, you will understand to configure ANY program that uses temporary writes to direct those writes to the platter so to save on the SSD; swap files for an OS, scratch disks for media editing, cache files for browsers . . . . . and so on.

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

fine.