Sign in with
Your question

USB 3.0 uses

Last response: in Motherboards
November 24, 2010 9:55:40 PM

Okay this is about to send me over the edge... can someone just say that to use USB 3.0 you must have a PCI E card, cable and HDD.... then once the drivers are installed you just connect HDD and "click and drag" ive set up the card and drivers to the best of my knowledge and its trans files at 38.00 mbps MKV files and 8.0 mbps for AVI/MP4 type files this seems really slow...

im using WD My Passport SE 1TB all my specs you can find on my sig someone please help me id really like to trans files in less than 2 hours for 200 GB which is what im getting now is this how fast its supposed to be let me know if you need more details

More about : usb

November 24, 2010 9:56:36 PM

GA-EP45-UD3LR
Q6600 OC to 3.2 air cooled
OCZ Intel E (7-7-7-20) 1333 4gb
8400 GS
HAF 932
40\\\" regza 1080p LCD 120hz
Ultra 750w
Related resources
November 27, 2010 3:24:30 PM

the link provided does not go to the specific drive. just their homepage.

also you are stating the speeds in mbps (which is megabits per second) this equates to 1/8 of a MB/s (8 bits in 1 byte).

If you are actually getting 38mbps then the transfer speed is 38mbits/(8 bits / byte)/s = 4.75 MB/s which is pretty slow.....

November 28, 2010 5:25:34 AM

It sounds like the problem stems from the fact that you're using a USB 2.0 hard drive with a USB 3.0 port. If that's the case then you're obviously not going to get USB 3.0 speeds as your hard drive just became the bottleneck. The USB 3.0 potential of the port isn't going to be used because your USB 2.0 device is already running at full speed and thus isn't capable of going any faster.
I would experiment with the device and try plugging it into a USB 2.0 port on the same computer and see if that changes the speed. If not and both the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports are both running that slow then it sounds like you'll need a newer driver for your USB chipset on your new motherboard. I would also look for a genuine USB 3.0 hard drive if you have the money and see if that changes the speed as it certainly should. If it doesn't then you'll know for sure that the problem will lie with the Chipset drivers or the physical ports themselves.
November 28, 2010 5:51:39 PM

Model: WDBACX0010BBKSN... the box says USB 3.0
November 28, 2010 5:53:59 PM

stringer said:
the link provided does not go to the specific drive. just their homepage.

also you are stating the speeds in mbps (which is megabits per second) this equates to 1/8 of a MB/s (8 bits in 1 byte).

If you are actually getting 38mbps then the transfer speed is 38mbits/(8 bits / byte)/s = 4.75 MB/s which is pretty slow.....

Didn't know that thanks for the info
November 28, 2010 6:03:40 PM

ergor said:
It sounds like the problem stems from the fact that you're using a USB 2.0 hard drive with a USB 3.0 port. If that's the case then you're obviously not going to get USB 3.0 speeds as your hard drive just became the bottleneck. The USB 3.0 potential of the port isn't going to be used because your USB 2.0 device is already running at full speed and thus isn't capable of going any faster.
I would experiment with the device and try plugging it into a USB 2.0 port on the same computer and see if that changes the speed. If not and both the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports are both running that slow then it sounds like you'll need a newer driver for your USB chipset on your new motherboard. I would also look for a genuine USB 3.0 hard drive if you have the money and see if that changes the speed as it certainly should. If it doesn't then you'll know for sure that the problem will lie with the Chipset drivers or the physical ports themselves.

Let me make sure i understand, The WD external drive is USB 3.0 im sure no need to try and prove that wrong i bought it... Next i went and got a PCI E card for usb 3.0 and installed drivers so what you are saying is my internal hard drives are slowing it down? or i dont have the right drivers for my motherboard... but it is CLICK AND DRAG right?

and yes i did experiment with them and they are somewhat close to the same 3.0 slot is about 10 mbps faster but seems up and down... I really think everyone is questioning my purchase of the ExhDD but its 3.0 not 2.0 so thats not the issue take the time to google it they are there sorry my link isn't working but ill take a look around to see if it is a driver problem but i JST WANT TO KNOW AFTER ALL IS FIXED you just "Click and Drag" so other program needed
!