somewhattwisted's save games uploaded to newgroup tonight

For those that have friends of Thief 3 that do not have
browser access for some reason and want these saved game
levels from

>http://www.somewhattwisted.com/thief-3-savegames.htm

They were uploaded tonight with credits to the website
to Alt.Binaries.Games.Thief
========================

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

    Geneve wrote:
    > For those that have friends of Thief 3 that do not have
    > browser access for some reason and want these saved game
    > levels from
    >

    >>http://www.somewhattwisted.com/thief-3-savegames.htm

    When I see something like this I always wonder if someone
    finally has found a way to get a trojan onto my system by
    means of a Thief save-game. Or even a Thief mission.
    I've begun waiting a week or two fter release data to
    download new fan missions just to give antivirus makers
    a chance to catch up, just in case.

    I have no reason to think that there is anything wrong:
    but up to a couple of weeks ago I would have said the same
    thing about .jpg files. Today I've got about a dozen
    in my e-mail -- all have that buffer overflow problem.
    (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-028.mspx
    for anyone who hasn't patched their Win yet.)

    Difficult to know just what can be trusted, these days.
    Wonder how well the Thief 3 programmers worked through the
    code to avoid that kind of attack ... not very, I don't think.
    Or even Thief 1 and 2 programmers.

    Again, I have no reason to think that there is anything
    wrong in this particular case -- it just strikes me that
    save games and fan missions would be a perfect way to 'get
    through' for a zero-day virus or backdoor.

    --
    Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:17:22 GMT Anders Thulin said :

    >Geneve wrote:
    >> For those that have friends of Thief 3 that do not have
    >> browser access for some reason and want these saved game
    >> levels from
    >>

    >>>http://www.somewhattwisted.com/thief-3-savegames.htm
    >
    > When I see something like this I always wonder if someone
    >finally has found a way to get a trojan onto my system by
    >means of a Thief save-game. Or even a Thief mission.
    >I've begun waiting a week or two fter release data to
    >download new fan missions just to give antivirus makers
    >a chance to catch up, just in case.
    >
    > I have no reason to think that there is anything wrong:
    >but up to a couple of weeks ago I would have said the same
    >thing about .jpg files. Today I've got about a dozen
    >in my e-mail -- all have that buffer overflow problem.
    >(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-028.mspx
    >for anyone who hasn't patched their Win yet.)
    >
    > Difficult to know just what can be trusted, these days.
    >Wonder how well the Thief 3 programmers worked through the
    >code to avoid that kind of attack ... not very, I don't think.
    >Or even Thief 1 and 2 programmers.
    >
    > Again, I have no reason to think that there is anything
    >wrong in this particular case -- it just strikes me that
    >save games and fan missions would be a perfect way to 'get
    >through' for a zero-day virus or backdoor.

    Yes that is true about trojans. I dunno. I trusted the website
    but who am I to believe? I am a no body really. I encluded
    the website address just the same so if you thought my system
    was hosed then you have that.

    After that it is up to you.

    As to the jpg thing. SO far nothing over here except in the
    news readers. Seems I cant delete the dam things unless
    I close the newsreader first.

    As far as the saved games as-is. If it was not for that.
    I was thinking of giving up and putting thief3 on hold due to
    pure frustration and install some other game.

    Some things in the game just turn me off. I get tired of
    getting killed or being forced to use up supplies and money.

    There are some fun things that keep me laughing though.

    Pick pocketing is one. "I've been robbed" hahaha...

    ReSpawning of the guards is annoying. There should be a limit
    of the amount of times they can be respawned.

    --
    "If confused why this or that is going on."
    "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

Browsers Games Video Games