Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

1st pc build, will this work ok? and other newb questions

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 23, 2010 2:41:20 PM

Gigabyte GA x58a ud5 link
Corsair Dominator 1600 ram 3x2gb link
Corsair CMPSU 750TX link
Intel I7 920 D0 stepping (used from ebay)
2- Kingston 30gb ssdnow V hardrives link
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 cpu fan link
MASSCOOL Fanner-420 Thermal Grease link
random case from ebay link
Windows Ultimate OS

1.)Don't know anything about gpu. My budget is about $350-700. anyone with this board recommend?
With 750 watts is 3 5770's possible? Some cards say "requires 600 watt power supply" is that just the gpu or are they talking the whole computer?
also are the Ati cards good for htpc as well as gaming?

2.) Is that ram compatible? I couldn't find a list on Gigabyte's webpage

3.) Will that fan fit on the mobo?

4.) I want to run the hard drives in raid. There are 3 different sata controllers on the board (marvell 9128, jm b362, ICH10R)each offering a raid driver. Are they equal for speed? Would using sata 6gb/s somehow be faster than sata 3 gb/s?
The manual says create a raid driver diskette, Do I need to buy a floppy drive, or can I use a cd?
What is a good setting for raid stripe block size?

5.) Is thermal grease just for the top and bottom of the cpu chip?

6.) I want to try my hand at overclocking. Is there a good cooling system that is newb foolproof that may fit this board?

7.) Are those brackets in the hard drives picture adapters to go from 2.5 to 3.5"?

8.)Are usb bridge connectors universal, or do I need ones specific from motherboard manufacturer?

Sorry if all this all seems hasty. I would like to put this together quick enough to confirm the used Intel chip from ebay is good.

Best solution

March 23, 2010 2:56:12 PM

1.) HD 5970 for $700. It's the best right now.

You don't want to be using Crossfire at the start of a build, especially with three cards (it's doesn't scale up well). The "requires 600W" refers to the whole build. All the ATI 5xxx series cards are good for HTPCs, as they run really cool. However, anything above the 5770 for a strictly HTPC is overkill.

2.) Yes, but it's super expensive. The fastest sticks on the market (Mushkin Enahnced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6) are the same price. I'd switch them out for these.

3.) Yes, but you don't need that thermal grease. Either get some quality compound or leave it out.

4.) RAID 0 is the fastest RAID speed. The SATA version would not make anything faster UNLESS the drives are SATA III (they aren't). Also, those aren't great SSDs. I would highly recommend getting a single one that's larger, like this Corsair Nova 128 GB for $319, or leave them out.

Also, you'll need a data HDD, as SSDs hate constantly writting data. The Seagate 7200.12 1 TB or Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB are some of the fastest and cheapest out right now (they also come in 500 GB models).

5.) It's only for where the heat sink touches the CPU. You put it anywhere else and you could fry the motherboard and/or other components.

6.) You already have a cooling system (the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus). And it's already one of the best.

7.) No idea.

What exact case is that (the link won't work)? I highly recommend not buying "some random case". High end components need a lot of cooling, and most cases won't fit larger video cards. I wouldn't get anything less than the HAF 922.
Share
March 23, 2010 3:42:36 PM

MadAdmiral said:
1.) HD 5970 for $700. It's the best right now.

Thanks, Though wouldn't 2 5770's be as fast at half the price? Or would the scaling issues negate the fact?

MadAdmiral said:


2.) Yes, but it's super expensive. The fastest sticks on the market (Mushkin Enahnced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6) are the same price. I'd switch them out for these.


Thanks, I will make the swap for the faster timings. I only wonder as a newb, if I would be better off having the EMP of the Corsair...



MadAdmiral said:

Also, you'll need a data HDD, as SSDs hate constantly writting data. The Seagate 7200.12 1 TB or Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB are some of the fastest and cheapest out right now (they also come in 500 GB models).

Thanks, those are the exact models I am looking at. I am surprised you would take out the kingston drives in favor of a single drive. Wouldn't my read speeds have the potential to nearly double with the second kingston making it faster than the corsair?



6.) You already have a cooling system (the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus). And it's already one of the best.
[/quotemsg]
Thanks, but wouldn't I need to cool the northbridge or maybe the graphics cards as I get into overclocking? I need to read about this some more..

MadAdmiral said:

What exact case is that (the link won't work)? I highly recommend not buying "some random case". High end components need a lot of cooling, and most cases won't fit larger video cards. I wouldn't get anything less than the HAF 922.


The case from ebay reads like:
You are bidding on a great silver Lian-Li computer case made out of sturdy aluminum in excellent working condition with great cooling consisting of 2 x 80mm fans in the back, 1 x 80mm fan in the top, and 2 x 80mm fans with a removable washable dust filter in the front. There are 7 x PCI slots (5x covers are missing) in the back, 4 x 5.25” racks and corresponding slots for CD ROMs in the front (2x covers are missing), 3 x 3.5” racks and corresponding slots for Floppy Drives in the front (1x cover is missing), and a removable 5x Hard Drive cage cooled by the front fans. There are also 4 x USB ports in the front bottom of the case behind a trap door (the trap door was broken off but it is included). Please Note: 1) Most of the screws in the back of the case are thumb-screws for easy access; 2) The motherboard tray is removable for easy access; 3) There are some marks and scratches here and there on the case from normal operation (one scratch on the top of the case toward the back). Also, there is 1 x Ultra ULT-500P 500W Power Supply included with 1x 4pin CPU, 1x 20/24pin motherboard, 8x molex, 2x floppy, 2x SATA, and 1x 6pin GPU connectors. said:
You are bidding on a great silver Lian-Li computer case made out of sturdy aluminum in excellent working condition with great cooling consisting of 2 x 80mm fans in the back, 1 x 80mm fan in the top, and 2 x 80mm fans with a removable washable dust filter in the front. There are 7 x PCI slots (5x covers are missing) in the back, 4 x 5.25” racks and corresponding slots for CD ROMs in the front (2x covers are missing), 3 x 3.5” racks and corresponding slots for Floppy Drives in the front (1x cover is missing), and a removable 5x Hard Drive cage cooled by the front fans. There are also 4 x USB ports in the front bottom of the case behind a trap door (the trap door was broken off but it is included). Please Note: 1) Most of the screws in the back of the case are thumb-screws for easy access; 2) The motherboard tray is removable for easy access; 3) There are some marks and scratches here and there on the case from normal operation (one scratch on the top of the case toward the back). Also, there is 1 x Ultra ULT-500P 500W Power Supply included with 1x 4pin CPU, 1x 20/24pin motherboard, 8x molex, 2x floppy, 2x SATA, and 1x 6pin GPU connectors.




m
0
l
Related resources
March 23, 2010 3:46:25 PM

Um, better off buying a new case. HAF 922 or Antec 902 are popular.

2 5770 =/= 5970. A 5970 is in between 2 5850's and 2 5870's in performance, (which are $640 and $840 ish)
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 3:54:31 PM

banthracis said:
Um, better off buying a new case. HAF 922 or Antec 902 are popular.

2 5770 =/= 5970. A 5970 is in between 2 5850's and 2 5870's in performance, (which are $640 and $840 ish)


Hey thanks for the heads up on the card specs. what are your thoughts on why a new case would be better? Do you mean it's ugly, or rather that it is not functional?
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 4:17:27 PM

A new case would be better case that one looks like it's be through some rough patches. It also appears to be a smaller case. Also, it has tiny fans.

I wasn't referring to the read/write speeds when I suggest the Corsair. Kingston's SSDs aren't really the best quality. You'd be better sticking with Intel follwed by Crucial and Corsair. And while the speeds would be increased with RAID 0, the chance of losing everything to a minor error is also doubled. Frankly, you wouldn't notice any performance difference between a RAID array and a single drive. It would make absolutely no difference in game.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 4:41:21 PM

top to bottom
2x 5970
2x5870
5970
2x5850
2x5830
2x5770
5870
5850
5830
5770
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 4:48:50 PM

I would add the qualifier "at stock speeds" to that list. The 5970 is two 5870 cores on one card, but the cores have been downclocked to 5850 stock speeds. If you were to overclock it to the stock speed of the cores, a single 5970 would be better than two 5870s.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 4:53:48 PM

you can acheive a higher clock with 2 coolers like on the 5870 then a single cooler on the 5970
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 4:56:45 PM

I'm not talking about the maximum overclock. I'm talking about the actual technical performance. I'm talking about overclocking the 5970 only to the level that the 5870 cores should operate at. That would be the technical ability of the card.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 5:03:43 PM

yeah but temps would be terrible im waiting to see the 5970's advanced cooling coming from a few vendors
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 5:07:58 PM

Temps wouldn't be bad at all. We're not talking about maxing out what the card can possibly do, we're talking about a very mild overclock. The 5xxx series cards all have very good cooling. You can push any of the cards to higher speeds than the next card up without having problems...
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 5:30:02 PM

the 5970 is clocked at 725 mhz but max is 850mhz the 5870 at 850 mhz the 5870 max is 900mhz that extra should give the 2x5870 the edge
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 5:53:28 PM

That's not right. Here's a guide to OCing the 5970. Notice the 895mhz clock. And that's only using ATI's Overdrive software. That's nowhere near what the maximum clock is. The end results showed the clock at 935 mhz for the 5970.

The 5970's cores and the 5870's cores are the exact same. That means the maximum overclock on one is the maximium overclock on the other.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 6:14:08 PM

With a little voltage tweaking the Radeon HD 5970 is very tweakable. Keep an eye on your GPU (now reaching 90 C) said:
With a little voltage tweaking the Radeon HD 5970 is very tweakable. Keep an eye on your GPU (now reaching 90 C)

http://www.guru3d.com/article/overclock-radeon-5970-gui...

i meant without a voltage tweak and not hacked bios but ok

5970 according to this its rare for a 5970 to hit anything above a 1050 core speed

5870 the core speed seems to hit much higher with a 5870 even cases of 1300mhz even as far as 1400mhz+
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 6:16:05 PM

One reason not to RAID SSDs: currently, TRIM is not supported for RAID in Windows 7.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 6:39:58 PM

obsidian86 said:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/overclock-radeon-5970-gui...

i meant without a voltage tweak and not hacked bios but ok

5970 according to this its rare for a 5970 to hit anything above a 1050 core speed

5870 the core speed seems to hit much higher with a 5870 even cases of 1300mhz even as far as 1400mhz+



Fair enough. However, it doesn't contradict the point I was making about being able to overclock the 5970 to 5870 stock speeds or the performance of the 5970 vs. 2x 5870s at those speeds.

Here's a review of the 5970 that includes Crossfired 5870s. Please note that the 5970 is still number one.

EDIT: In fairness, after paging through everything, the testing wasn't that conclusive. Many of the tests ran into other limitations, yielding some very wierd results (flat lines and two 5770s beating everything else for example). However, the tests did show that the 5970 either beat or equaled the dual 5870s at stock. I believe that's enough to say that if you added the slight overclock to the 5970 (or even a maxed out overclock), the fact that the cores are on a single card enhances the cards abilities (or makes up for the lower potential). I'd say that's pretty good for costing about $100 less.
m
0
l
April 2, 2010 3:40:02 AM

Best answer selected by grathan.
m
0
l
!