Intel DP55KG motherboard will not boot from HDD automatically

Ziggurat Vertigo

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Any help would be very appreciated – I'm helping a friend with a new build and he's using a DP55KG motherboard with a Core i5. I don't think which or what RAM matters here because it actually all works. We installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit and it runs perfectly.

The problem is that it will only boot off of the hard drive when manually directed to do so. This is done by pressing F10 during POST and selecting the hard drive from the boot menu. Simply letting the machine run through POST will yeild nothing but the E7 BIOS code, which supposedly means it's waiting for user input. Aside from CTRL-ALT-DEL nothing will work; all other user input is ignored.

We've tried all the obvious settings in the BIOS, making sure that the hard drive boots up as the first boot device, etc. Even went so far as to disable all other boot options such as optical, so that only hard drives may be booted to and only the one installed.

It can't be a problem in Windows because when the HDD is selected manually from the boot menu it always works perfectly. The problem occurs before Windows can start loading.

We flashed the BIOS to the latest version, which was released this month on the 16th. No help. We toggled UEFI on and off, nothing. The machine will not boot from anything unless it is manually selected from the boot menu. Is this a bad motherboard? Please help.

cschweizer

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

I would try another harddrive and if it dose the same thing then it sounds like the motherboard has a problem but it would help to know what you have for your hardware Ram,CPU,,Motherboard ink. More information would be great.

Chris..