System will not boot from DVD Drive while Hard Drive is hooked up

Ricochetty

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Hi all, this is my first time posting here and I'm having what seems to be a really weird problem. There may be a really easy answer that I'm just overlooking.

I just built a new system for a friend and I'm having an odd problem that will not let me boot from a DVD drive while the hard drive is hooked up. If I take away power from the hard drive, the computer will boot from dvd and try to install the operating system, though that's obviously useless without a hard drive. Also, I am seeing the motherboard splash screen, but I have no option to go to bios. I looked in the mb book and it said DEL, though that doesn't bring me to bios either. So, I have no way to get to bios and i think the computer is trying to exclusively boot from a blank hard drive?

Thanks for any help guys. I tried searching and this forum had a lot of similar hits, though nothing quite like this problem.

Solution
Yes, Depending on the MB it may not recoginze the Usb KB - Probably the problem.. I have to switch my keyboard to get into Bios. Just use one of the USB->ps2 adaptors for keyboard.
Try this
first as soon as you turn the computer on start hitting the Del key, keep hitting should get a beep, possibly a keyboard error which often brings up the Bios.
If that does not work the try the following:
. Space bar repeately (looking for a key board error).
. Try F1 and F2.

Ricochetty

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

Tried mashing the Del key, and the f2/f8 keys, have not tried f1 nor space bar and I can't work on it again till tomorrow. Hopefully it is something as simple as this. Note, the keyboard I am using is a usb keyboard. Should I switch to a ps2?