Convert Raid 0 boot drive to Raid 0 Data Drive under SSD boot drive

hardrockgeo

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Hi:

I have an existing Raid 0 array that I want to move to another computer with an existing SSD. Both drives are currently boot drive in Windows 7. I plan to retire the computer w/ the existing Raid 0 array and move it to the newer system with the SSD.

The newer system configuration is as follows:
Motherboard: ASUS P5E3 Pro
CPU: Intel Q6600, 2.4 MHz
Memory: 4 Gb, DDR3, PC3 10666 1333MHz
Hard Drive: Crucial m4 SSD 2.5, 128Gb SATA 6Gb/s (Currently configured in BIOS as EIDE boot drive)

Can anyone direct me to or provide information on moving the existing Raid 0 boot drive array as a data drive under the SSD boot drive in the newer system?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
^ Yes your sets will work. I've seen them before - but good info for others that are reading these post.

As to recognizing a Raid0 setup created on one computer and then moving to another MB Depends on the Chipset, if both MBs have the same chipset, good chance of NO problems. But on MBs with different chipset, normally does not work. Use to be you had to not only have the same chipset, but the Same firmware version. Use to upgrad by bios and cross fingers that my IDE raid0 would still be recognized.
Your Raid0 drives may, or may NOT, be recognized by the new system - Most likely Not.
Since your converting it to a Raid0, I would simply go into the raid0 and delete the raid0 set up and recreate it in the new system.

Some Pointers.
Do NOT connect the two HDDs up until AFTER you have installed windows on the SSD.
Will need to download the F6 Intel driver
Set Bios to Raid (Normal and most set bios to AHCI for SSD), How ever unless you can set the Bios for the SSD to AHCI and for the HDDs to raid may not be an option. Trim Will Be passed to the SSD as long as the driver is iaSTor and the SSD is NOT a member drive. Once Windows has been installed on the SSD and YOU have verified it is operating correctly, then and only then add your two HDDs and set up the raid0 array.

PS the Raid0 on the HDDs will only benifit working with LARGE file structures so if that is not the case, recommend ditching the raid0 and just set to AHCI and use the two drives as seperate4 drives - YOUR call.

hardrockgeo

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Thanks RetiredChief:

That was a quick reply. As you recommended, I reinstalled Windows 7 with the SSD drive set to ACHI in the BIOS. After that I applied a Microsoft fix supplied by GhislainG at: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258198-32-boot-windows-raid

I opened the registry as instructed below and set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV value to 0, rebooted, changed the drive controller to RAID and booted into the new windows install on my SSD drive.

After that, I shut down the machine, connected up my RAID0 array, rebooted and Windows recognized the RAID0 array from my old machine.

The Microsoft Microsoft's solution can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
The fix is as follows:

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

^ Yes your sets will work. I've seen them before - but good info for others that are reading these post.

As to recognizing a Raid0 setup created on one computer and then moving to another MB Depends on the Chipset, if both MBs have the same chipset, good chance of NO problems. But on MBs with different chipset, normally does not work. Use to be you had to not only have the same chipset, but the Same firmware version. Use to upgrad by bios and cross fingers that my IDE raid0 would still be recognized.

Solution