Best processor for a very specific tasks (db+calculation)

Vansibel

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
Good day everyone,

I was hoping I could get some opinions regarding the best processor to get in order to execute a very specific task in the shortest possible time. I'm not sure if the number of processors would beat a higher clock speed in what I'm trying to achieve. Basically, it's for a local server that will run php+mysql but solely for calculation and db interaction (delete,update,select,insert), which mean that there will only be one user at the time requesting the database (which is the machine itself trough a text-only browser via automated task). I understand that if it were a full fledged server a higher processor count could matter since many people would connect at the same time, but in this scenario it is not the case. I just need raw calculation power (well not just pure "raw" since were talking about php/mysql) and quick access to the DB in order to update multiple tables. Can a mysql server really take advantage of an opteron 12 cores in this scenario or am I better with smaller core Intel alternative but with a higher clock speed ? Also feel free to throw any other recommendation you may have regarding other component (ram size, ssd drive, ect).

Thank you

Solution
SQL typically doesn't parrallelize a single query. This means a single core CPU will run a query about as fast as a 12 core CPU, but the 12 core CPU can run that same query at the same speed for 12 users at the same time.

There are exceptions, but if you plan on one user, don't worry about getting a ton of cores.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
SQL typically doesn't parrallelize a single query. This means a single core CPU will run a query about as fast as a 12 core CPU, but the 12 core CPU can run that same query at the same speed for 12 users at the same time.

There are exceptions, but if you plan on one user, don't worry about getting a ton of cores.

Solution