excalibur666

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Hello,
I have two 250 Sata hdd with 3 OS in total. Let us use Sata A & Sata B to differentiate between the two hdd. Sata A has windows 7 OS. Sata B is running both windows 7 & windows Xp OS. So my question is can i have the opition of running between the three OS when i boot up?
Because i've been unable to do so thus far when i boot up with both hdd. It only allows me to boot from one hdd at a time. Many Thanks in advance....

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
SO on your primary Hard drive and Windows installation you need to add the other operating systems to the boot.ini file.

System Properties - Advanced - Startup - Repair but to get to this file and edit/modify it, you will need to enable hidden protected OS files etc. I would google how to modify the boot.ini and i believe there are even tools out there to do this for you.

why do you need 3 Operating systems? If you have an application that will not run in windows 7, you set it to compatibility mode, WindowsXP. If the 2nd Win7 OS is 32-bit while the main is 64-bit, windows has a Program files for 64bit and Program Files x86 for 32 bit applications. Now if you need the secondary OS, i highly recommend you use something like VirtualBox to virtualize this OS, which will load in a window on your current/existing installation

See this img:
https://picasaweb.google.com/112305562649873538409/Computer#5734596630672089042

I have a clean windows OS installation running for when i work on troubled PC's remotely, has my work tools on it etc. Now i can make installations of Windows Server, Linux, Unix, Windows 98 etc. anything you want