Phenom II x6 vs Intel i5

G

Hey,

I am building a desktop before going to University and was wondering which would be better, the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T or the Intel core i5. It will need to run 3d cad packages, along with games, movies etc. I would like it to last through my 5 year uni course with mimnimal adjustments.

Thanks in advance for your help

randomkid

Distinguished

Not only that. It will be possible to get several CPU upgrade on the AMD socket once new and even more cored & higher clocked AMD CPU becomes available. It is only possible way to cope with new programs that are getting more & more CPU intensive.

triplebug

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Here's a review of Phenom II X6, there're also comparison with i5 & i7.
http://www.techspot.com/review/269-amd-phenom2-x6-1090T-and-1055T/page6.html

If you read those performance chart, i7 is far better and i5 is even slightly better than Phenom II X6. Only a few HEAVY encoding tasks that Phenom II X6 will take a nose.

So you will be using it for 3D cad software like autocad, solid work, NX, etc? A decent quad-cores like i5-750 is more than enough to handle it and these application is more likely to favor Graphic card.

Of course, i5-750 will last very long, until quad-cores era end.

i5-750 highly recommended.

logainofhades

Titan
I would suspect that his cad programs either do or will in the not to distant future. Keep in mind he is saying he plans to keep the system around 5yrs. Place I used to work for had one program that also did simulations. It would run overnight on a dual quad core Xeon workstation just to complete.

Talking with present tech in mind, the i5 750 wins my vote.. Its faster by architecture.. Moreover, CAD streams don't tend to use even quad cores to their full benefit currently.. But if we think from a futuristic point of view, the 6 core AMD wins the vote.. First reason, programs will eventually start taxing up quad cores and then, the extra two cores will help extremely.. Secondly, the AM3 platform looks more future proof compared to the LGA 1156 (although i certainly believe AMD needs a platform and architectural changeover to compete with INTEL).. Third comes the ever present price/performance ratio which is in favour of the X6..