Quadro FX 1700 + Geforce GTS250

Macarina

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hello, does anyone know if its possible to have both graphics cards installed in a single system (no SLI)? Actually, I have a Quadro FX1700 installed for CAD apps, however, I would like to install a GTS250 for gaming. Can I have both installed and choose to enable/disable one when needed?

Solution

That psu is more than enough so you are well in the clear. Since both cards are DX10 SM4.0 they are unlikely to have any issue but I can't rule out any other issue except power. Good luck. :)

Macarina

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
That could work, thanks, but, how can I enable/disable the graphics card? E.g.: Let's supposed I am using AutoCad, now I finish my job and want to play a game.... how can I disable Qaudro and enable the GeForce?

Since they use the same driver package they should work and some apps including games allow the user to select which card that will be used to run the game. Some 3D apps are the same way. If you already got both cards then feel free if not then the GTS250 will have to suffice and will still run CAD and 3DSmax.

Macarina

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
nforce4max, thanks for your response, is there any risk to my system? I really want to take advantage of both worlds (Open GL with Quadro and Direct X with Geforce), but I wouldn't jeopardize my system for it.

Macarina

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I have a Coolermaster real 850W (I don't have the model here). Total system consists of a i7 975, 6GB memory, 3x320GB HDD in Raid 0 + 40GB SSD, 1x Quadro FX1700, Gigabyte MB X58A-UD7.

That psu is more than enough so you are well in the clear. Since both cards are DX10 SM4.0 they are unlikely to have any issue but I can't rule out any other issue except power. Good luck. :)

Solution