Can running Crysis at Very High kill a GPU?

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Can running Crysis at Very High for extended periods of time kill a GPU? I've noticed that sometimes using the reflex sight/iron sight/sniper sight/assault scope on the FY 71 causes around half the screen to black out. The problem goes away if I quit the game and start again. My GPU runs at 78. I had to underclock it to 650 core, 600 mem to prevent it from frying- was hitting 89 at stock speeds. The ambient temp is 33 so that sin't surprising. But does Crysis at max kill GPU's? This is my second 4870- my first one conked a week after I bought it, and Crysis was the only heavy game I had at that time, so I'm inclined to suspect that game....
Res- 1024*768
AA- In winter, 4x. Summer- 0x
AF-16x

jesmoke

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Running a game at very high settings will not kill a GPU. Something else is causing your problems. Your temps are pretty high. Is your pc case properly cooled?

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

78 is the load temp. It idles at 69. 54 if I underclock it to 600 core 450 mem. In other games (Shift COD, GRAW, R6, GTAIV etc etc etc) at full 750 core and 900 mem, it usually stays in the 75-80 range. Far Cry 2 pushes it to 82. Crysis is the only one which has any bugs(afore mentioned blackout issue) or temperature issues.
My GPU is a single slot XFX 4870. The heatsink only covers the GPU core- theres nothing on the RAM chips. Which is why the mem temps are usually ~5-10 degrees higher than the core.
So Crysis definitely won't kill the GPU?

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
The question want about temps- according to Toms Hardware temp testing, a 4870 should ramp up to ~83. Mine hits 78. Except in Crysis. Hits 89. It once even went to 94 for half a seconf before dropping back down to the high 80's.....
The question is about if Crysis @ Very High can destroy hardware.

NGen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
That's some fairly poor cooling, IMO. I'm running 2 5770's (just because I want to be able to heat my house) and the highest I'm hitting is ~70C on my main, 80C on my second because it's starved for air.

If you open up CCC and enable ATI Overdrive, you can control your fan speed which normally is anywhere between 30 and 50% of its max speed. I can run it at 60-70% for a fair drop in temps without noticing too much extra noise. 100% is like a jet engine.

But, then again, and XFX 4870 and a Sapphire 5770 are probably going to be having different fans, and the GPUs will also have different heat outputs. Still, it shouldn't be running that hot.

Of course it should be running that hot, and it shouldn't cause any problems. I can run crysis at very high with a 40% fan speed fine enough.

The OP has his very obvious answer(no offence OP but come on) and now has to look at what the solution may be. Best thing would be to test it in other games to try and find a recurring pattern.

NGen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'm confused, are you saying that the problem is temps? In which case, testing it in other games wouldn't be necessary since we know that the game that can really strain a GPU is causing the max heat output, which in this case causes artifacts (not entirely sure if that's what it would be called), which is normal for hot cards as you know. The answer might be more or less based on where the card is located, and whether or not it can get air (like with my card sitting at the bottom of the case just sucking up scraps). But feel free to completely ignore me.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

Good luck on that, the 5770 will be one of the last cards to heat your house.

Actually the card will run cooler at the bottom as cold air descends, as long as the airflow is the same.

NGen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Good luck on that, the 5770 will be one of the last cards to heat your house.
2 of them heat my room fairly well.

Actually the card will run cooler at the bottom as cold air descends, as long as the airflow is the same.
The fan is about half an inch off the bottom of the case, it's basically circulating it's own hot air in there for the most part. Also note that this is Sapphire's unenclosed fan, where the whole card isn't encased in plastic like the 5970.

It might actually be a patch issue, now that I think about it. Which Crysis are you talking about? The original, Wars, or Warhead? I had artifacts in Warhead after I applied patch 1.1, which caused the shadows to be screwed up.