Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Spanish heat and my CPU

Last response: in CPUs
June 2, 2010 4:55:02 PM

Im buying a PC with a i7 930 and a Powercolor 5870. PC case is nox coolbay HX with 4 fans. Mothreboard is X58.

The thing is that I'm having that PC in Madrid now, in June, with temps easily soaring the 40°C.

I read that the i7 930 gets to temps around 60°C under load (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278797-28-temps-quest...), and the 5870 to 80°C under load (http://www.techspot.com/review/198-ati-radeon-hd-5870-r...).

I'm scared to fry my PC, because I'll be gaming, so I shall reach those temps, but I have to add the 40°C ambient temps.
Is my PC in any trouble?

More about : spanish heat cpu

a b à CPUs
June 2, 2010 5:31:34 PM

That is totally fine. Under load, a non-OCed i7 930 should be under 70'C at full load. (under 80'C is normal for OCed full load) and the CPU doesn't suffer significant degradation until it hits the 90s'C and won't throttle until the high 90s'C or so.

80'C for the 5870 under load is totally fine - GPUs can take more heat punishment than CPUs, and won't throttle/degrade until they hit the 100s'C. Nvidia Fermi cards regularly hit the 90s'C under load.

Your temps are totally fine, and it's actually very good considering your high ambient temps.

Btw, there is no way your ambient room temperature is 40'C - 104 degrees F. You have climate controlled AC, or your room is significantly cooler - otherwise you'd be dead from heat stroke already.
m
l
June 2, 2010 5:47:38 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
Your temps are totally fine, and it's actually very good considering your high ambient temps.

Thanks for the fast answer, but I think I explained myself wrong. I don't have my computer yet, i'm getting it in 12 days. The temps I said and you confirmed are the ones I read on reviews. Those are the temps my CPU and GPU will have. I don't have my computer yet.

Quote:
Btw, there is no way your ambient room temperature is 40'C - 104 degrees F.
You're right, my house is probably at 27-31°C, the 40°C is only outside.

so my question again: Assuming my CPU and GPU work at those temps, and adding the 30°C room temp, will my computer overheat? I mean, do the temperatures add? 80°C on GPU + 29°C ambient = 109°C?
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2010 10:27:29 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
Btw, there is no way your ambient room temperature is 40'C - 104 degrees F. You have climate controlled AC, or your room is significantly cooler - otherwise you'd be dead from heat stroke already.

You obviously didn't grow up in the southeast US, without air conditioning. I assure you 104F room temps are quite survivable. Those temps (and higher) are not at all uncommon in many places around the world. Here in Phoenix 104F is just considered a "warm" day. But at least I have air con here! Can't recommend running your PC in those temps though - the PC can't sweat. ;) 
m
l
a c 201 à CPUs
June 3, 2010 1:28:35 AM

My son's 920 hits low 50's at 3.77 Ghz at 28ish ambient under P95 full load....so you should be able to achieve 65ish at 40C ambient w/ a decent cooler. Would suggest dropping core voltage as much as you can.....at 3.77, son's box is at 1.125 volts.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 3, 2010 1:37:28 AM

Average room temp is about 25c, your room temp is 40c. take the difference and add it to 60c i7 load temp you get 75 which is high but manageable. If your gaming your cpu won't be pushed to load anyway. GPU's typically can get much hotter it should be fine as well.
June 3, 2010 2:45:06 PM

Best answer selected by dodid0.
m
l
!