Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HT/PC?

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2010 10:10:05 PM

Hello my Favorite community,

I need some advise, I would like to connect my PC to my TV to watch movies and video from my HDD's, maybe some lite internet surfing, maybe some Gaming down the road.

So here is the skinny, I currently have an old Xbox1 that i've been using for a long time now. With XBMC connected through my network, I am able to watch pretty much any 480P video that I have, anything higher is out of the question.

For a long time now I have been wanting to connect my PC directly to my 46" 720P Monitor (which I use as my TV), and forgo the old Xbox1 altogether so that I can watch more HD content, but have been hesitant as I was not sure of the best way to do so, and didn't want to waste and money, doing it.

Current System is as follows:

Asus M4A78T-E
AMD Phenom II 3.0GHz Triple Core
2x Saphire VaporX HD 4850 512MB DDR3
Crossir 750w PSU
4GB OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600
2x 1TB WD1001FALS (Storage)
500 GB WD5001AALS (System OS)
X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro
Lian-Li PC-7F
Windows 7 Pro

Ok, I took the first step in getting this conversion/upgrade under way and ordered two HDMI cables, a 25ft'er and a 6ft'er. One to go from my GPU to my Yamaha A/V receiver, and one to go from my receiver to the TV.

Now I am stumped:

Do I need any more cables?

Will the audio come through the GPU's HDMI ports, or do I need to run it through my X-FI??

What is the best remote control to use for HTPC? Logitech diNovo Mini - EFO RF
I just want something that is nice and fully functional, a front bezel plate would be nice, and I don't want to break the bank. The diNovo looks cool and all, but really $150 for a remote, is it worth it, IDK. $50 buck is the most I think would spend on a really nice remote and front plate, unless there is something out there thats just amazing or a must have for a HTPC (diNovo?).

As far as software goes, I am lost as well, most DIY guides I found are a little dated. I was thinking of using XBMC ported for the PC (as I am already familiar with it) as my front end, but was also looking at Boxee. Really those are the only ones I know of, so any opinions on HTPC software and addins would be great.

Well thanks for your help in advance, I'm not sure if I need anything else. If there is something I missed let me know. :pt1cable: 

More about : question

a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2010 11:04:16 PM

You shouldn't need any more cables. Audio (once ATI HDMI is selected as your default audio) should be passed from your graphics card output to your receiver's input.

Concerning software, you already have what you need in Windows 7 Pro. It's called Windows Media Center. Some people may prefer Boxee or XBMC (I wouldn't know. I've never used them), but Windows 7 Media Center should provide you with all the software functionality you need.

As far as a remote control goes, I agree with you that the Logitech diNovo is pretty cool, but $150 for it is a bit much. I have this remote control (which I did NOT spend $110 on) as well as this one. Both work sufficiently well (to be honest, I can't imagine running an HTPC without one). I also have this MCE Keyboard which I use for logging in and out as well as Windows Updates and Netflix streams. The keyboard is nice as it has most (if not all) the same functionality of the remote controls, but I hate the little nipple mouse control. On the plus side, it does have a nice On/Off switch for saving battery life. I've had mine about three years and only changed batteries once, a couple of months ago.

Your system should be more than capable of handling any type of video playback you want, so no issues there.

-Wolf sends
m
l
March 24, 2010 3:05:07 AM

Thank you for your response. It's good to know that once I get my cables here I will at very least be able to start watching my HD content.

I am still on the fence about the remote situation, there are just so darn many of them out there with varying degrees of quality and price. I have googled for hours trying to find the perfect remote or keyboard.

I have come to the conclusion that I will need both a remote for viewing (WMC, XMBC, or Boxee) as well as eventually a keyboard for navigation and web browsing. But I will only be getting a remote for the time being.

With that being said does anyone know of a remote that will do the following:

15ft min distance
Universal Remote: TV, A/V Receiver, and PC (one remote to rule them all...lol)
Easily programed to use different programs: XBMC, VNC, Itunes, PowerDVD, WMC, ect...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2010 12:59:41 PM

About the closest thing your going to find in Universal Remote Controls that can be programmed for the PC are the Logitech Harmony Remotes. Closest to your price range would be the Logitech Harmony 620 @ $69 + S/H.

-Wolf sends
March 24, 2010 3:15:43 PM

Yeah it's looking to be that way. But then the question is whats the best way to get my PC to pick up the signals IR/RF whatever?

Whats best a nice VDF to go into the PC, or just IR/RF extender? I wish these harmony remotes came with a dang USB dongle.
m
l
March 24, 2010 10:15:02 PM

Best answer selected by Eternal7331.
m
l
!