Solved

Can't put shrinked volume back in one piece

Hi,

A while back, I shrinked my C: volume to dual boot Ubuntu on my new E: volume but now, i want the space of E: volume back into C: volume.

How would i do that? I messed a little bit with disk management but i don't see any options allowing me to perform this task.

Thanks
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about shrinked volume back piece
  1. Before going any further, make sure everything on your C: is backed up.

You need to delete the E: partition in disk management
    Once that's done you should be able to right click on the C: and select Extend partition.
  2. I wiped the stuff on E: and deleted the partition but, now i have 330GB free space and can't do anything with it. If i try creating a new simple volume i get the error message "There is not enough space of the disk(s) to complete this operation." and extend volume is unavailable.

Is there a way i can fix this or should i just do a year system restore?
  3. There are other tools out there that might be able to regain the volume (e.g., execute that "expand volume".) I don't know of any free tools that I trust. Maybe others here can help on that. I know Ghost and Acronis can do this too, but they're typically not free (some HDDs come with one of those tools with a free download).

Alternatively, and what I would do if I were in your shoes, is that annual refresh. Backup all your data, then do a format and reinstall of it all. Linux has messed with the partition a bit, and Windows is struggling to clean it up. A quick format during reinstall cleans that tho.
    In the future, use Ubuntu from a USB drive, or a dedicated internal drive. Or, VirtualBox (Free virtual machine app from Oracle)
  4. Best answer
    Anonymous said:
    Is there a way i can fix this or should i just do a year system restore?

I wouldn't restore one year back. You'll effectively remove a years worth of microsoft updates along with any other software that you installed since then. Even though the software may still be on the drive, the registry settings for it will now be gone if they were created within the last year.

Backup your C drive then try to fix the partitions with easeus partition tool.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
  5. Hawkeye22 said:
    I wouldn't restore one year back. You'll effectively remove a years worth of microsoft updates along with any other software that you installed since then. Even though the software may still be on the drive, the registry settings for it will now be gone if they were created within the last year.

Backup your C drive then try to fix the partitions with easeus partition tool.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Thanks, you just saved my HDD.

This is the last time i mess with disk management or at least the last time i mess with half my storage space.
  6. Best answer selected by darkritual.
Ask a new question

Read More

Ubuntu Disk Management Dual Boot Storage