Sign in with
Your question

Wired router

Last response: in Networking
February 4, 2010 4:50:25 PM

I have a small business with a wired peer to peer network that is currently using a simple hub. I want to step up to a router for a hardware firewall and better performance. We have 5 computers, 3 printers and 1 internet with a DSL modem, all wired in.

I am totally clueless as to how to proceed. I figure I need 10 or 12 ports which will allow for some expansion. I don't know if we need a router or a switch, with or without software or what. I want to go wired since it is already in place.

I have done internet searches but can't make heads or tails out of the many items available. Can you send me in the right direction or even recommend a specific router for my needs? Thanks.

More about : wired router

February 5, 2010 1:33:05 AM

If you have Internet access, then you should already have a router (unless a single PC can access it). You could buy a switch like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and a router if you don't already have one. How do your PCs get their IP configuration? Static or dynamic IP address? If dynamic, do they get it from a server?
!