Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bext X58 to date???

Last response: in Motherboards
November 25, 2010 6:37:26 AM

dilema:
i am going to buy a computer in mid january 2011 at the latest.
i am searching the web, building the computer slowly untill mid jan.
i am a software guy with minimum knowledge needed for a guy like me in hardware. so if my questions sound silly just bare with me.

MB: (undecided)

CPU: i7 950 (thats the best for me and my use and i dont need to go into extreme here 'full pun intended')

GPU: gtx 470 (just 1)

PSU: hx650w (i dont think i need more then 650)

RAM: 6gb (2gb X 3) (undecided which or whats best)

HD: (undecided)

Cooling: (air, might OC might not, looking for somthing very strong and very quiet so for now guess what: undecided)

as you can see some i decided some i didn't but i am not worried got 1.5 months to figure things out.

for the writen above, here are my questions:

what would be the best x58 to get?

i am curious: so far seen everyone suggest asus or gigabyte and no one else. so i have to asume others are neglectable?

are there any new x58 boards schedualed to come out in the next month or so?

those are my questions hope you guys can help me out. the things i didnt decide yet i'll probebly ask about in due time of decision making specific to them i am tackling each item individualy right now my focus is on motherboards.

just adding 1 more thing:
no budget limit. if there are 2 MB that give exactly the same thing ofcrouse i'll take the lower price but over all feel free to tell me about the best of the best x58 has to offer for the 950.

More about : bext x58 date

a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2010 7:15:15 AM

All you're likely to get here in response to that question are fanboy answers. Instead, I suggest reading a few reviews and making up your own mind.
Score
November 25, 2010 8:00:29 AM

oh i am reading reviews left and right catching up on hardware just to understand the half i never understood before. hell, i am checking the official companies web sites and comparing every single detail i can understand.

the problem so far is that at some point when you have 2-3 things from asus and 2-3 things from gigabyte, it starts getting to be more like book reading then articles. cant really tell whats better to use.
Score
November 25, 2010 8:45:15 AM

Hello tomeryaul. I am also new in the hardware stuff, try to read as much as possible, and intend to get a new computer. One of my problems is about getting an intel i7 9xx (like yours) or going for amd's six core 1090 BE. I'm just tired of intel's tendency to quit support on not-so-old plattforms (money also hurts); otherwise, they'd be my first choice.

Since you've already made your mind on that, one real good option could be Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7. If you're not going to do SLI with your GPU GTX 470 (my choice also, vs. hd 6870, but still in doubt) or overclock continuously, I'd settle for the GA-X58A-UD5. You still get USB 3.0, SATA 3 (6GB/s), double BIOS chip, and many other features. Not so many power phases in UD5 as in UD7, but they say it's more than enough except for extreme OC; and since you do't plan to quad-SLI ;)  . The rest is very much the same in both and you get better value for your money.

Of course there is the brand new UD9. State-of-the-art. But the extra features are not so used right now; I guess the economic crysis just keeps people with USB 2.0 and SATA2 for the moment. You want USB 3.0 and SATA3 for the future but they're still slow selling technologies.

And there are many other brand names, like asus, msi, asrock, and so on. But you ask for an opinion, and this GA-X58A-UD5/7 seem a good choice. If possible, when you've decided yourself, post it and comment. Good luck!
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2010 8:55:40 AM

adso69 said:
Hello tomeryaul. I am also new in the hardware stuff, try to read as much as possible, and intend to get a new computer. One of my problems is about getting an intel i7 9xx (like yours) or going for amd's six core 1090 BE. I'm just tired of intel's tendency to quit support on not-so-old plattforms (money also hurts); otherwise, they'd be my first choice.

Since you've already made your mind on that, one real good option could be Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7. If you're not going to do SLI with your GPU GTX 470 (my choice also, vs. hd 6870, but still in doubt) or overclock continuously, I'd settle for the GA-X58A-UD5. You still get USB 3.0, SATA 3 (6GB/s), double BIOS chip, and many other features. Not so many power phases in UD5 as in UD7, but they say it's more than enough except for extreme OC; and since you do't plan to quad-SLI ;)  . The rest is very much the same in both and you get better value for your money.

Of course there is the brand new UD9. State-of-the-art. But the extra features are not so used right now; I guess the economic crysis just keeps people with USB 2.0 and SATA2 for the moment. You want USB 3.0 and SATA3 for the future but they're still slow selling technologies.

And there are many other brand names, like asus, msi, asrock, and so on. But you ask for an opinion, and this GA-X58A-UD5/7 seem a good choice. If possible, when you've decided yourself, post it and comment. Good luck!
You see, that's exactly the kind of stuff I warned him against. He could do the same stuff with the X58A-UD3R, even SLI and 3-way SLI, and save himself a bunch of money.
Score
November 25, 2010 9:22:55 AM

yes, but adso69 might not know it. If you have a constructive opinion you can state it. No harm in that.
Score
November 25, 2010 9:53:33 AM

Figure out what you need in terms of features; amount of expansion slots, chipsets, quality of build if you're looking to overclock, USB 3.0... etc. Then simply find the cheapest motherboard that supports it all.

There, no fanboyism.

Alternatively, find your favourite or most trusted brand and go with their product that fits your needs :lol: 

:) 
Score
November 25, 2010 10:23:43 AM

well i went to gigabyte web site and few other places over the last few days and did compare the details between UD7 to UD5 to UD3R. between the 3 UD5 seemed pointless if i was going to think about UD5 might as well go for UD7.
i am sorry to say this but for extras that are still barely used and abit more slot comfort doesnt seem worth it. which means by proccess of elimination i am left with the UD3R. and about the UD9 just like i went for i7 950 and not the extreme series i am not going to stand on the edge here too.

great so if its gigabyte its UD3R. still havent found a proper place to compare gigabyte to asus. and asus does have some suggestions as well. which means i am still at squere 1 lol.

as far as intel vs amd and nvidia vs radeon you could call me a "snob" i have nothing against AMD and ATI and i really can't fault them at all... but for some twisted little reason its stuck in my head that i don't like them. nothing i can do about it lol sorry just my personal opinion.
so to me there is no choice its always intel over AMD when it comes to CPUs and always gigabyte over ATI when it comes to GPUs.
Score
November 25, 2010 10:33:47 AM

tomeryaul said:

so to me there is no choice its always intel over AMD when it comes to CPUs and always gigabyte over ATI when it comes to GPUs.

You mean Nvidia over AMD? (AMD bought out ATI)
Score
November 25, 2010 10:44:49 AM

anacandor said:
You mean Nvidia over AMD? (AMD bought out ATI)

:)  doesnt matter who bought who the consept stays the same but yeah you got the idea. and i actually did mean ATI since its something that stuck in my mind all my life, doesnt matter who the owner is.
Score

Best solution

November 25, 2010 2:52:42 PM

Excerpt from http://forums.legitreviews.com/about25404.html

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R or GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5
by Geezy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:49 am

HI guys I'm looking to build a new system with a gigabyte x58 MB with the option to upgrade to the upcoming six core processor, i was hoping to get the x58A-ud5 but then i noticed the ud3r version, differently from the extra LAN option what else is so different? not including the price
Re: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R or GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5
by Apoptosis » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Other than better chipset and component cooling, the different audio controller and the rear I/O panel headers the UD5 has...

Advanced 12+2+2 power phase design with VRD 11.1 support
Onboard Debug LED display simplifies motherboard troubleshooting
2 Gigabit Ethernet LAN with Teaming functionality
Power/reset/Clr CMOS onboard button for easily operation on the workbench

When it comes to price

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R - $209.99
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 - $289.99

I am an absolute beginner but my intention was to give an opinion. I haven't had the time to turn into fanboy for any brand names. UD3R and UD5 are fine, and the extra power phases, Power/reset/Clr CMOS, and leds for troubleshooting justified for me the extra money. That said, UD3R will no doubt do the job. And (as for my needs) I would not need go so far as UD7 or UD9.

Sorry for the annoyance, crashman. And thanks for the support, delazaren and anacandor. Hope I´ll do better in the future.
November 26, 2010 1:18:27 PM

well i took a day and took another look at everything i seen so far.
as far as asus goes there is too many options completly different names and their official website doesnt give enough details. i gave up trying to understand asus. so gigabyte here i come.

well i did take another look at UD7 UD5 and UD3R

and i am convinced maybe the UD5 is better for me.
what bought me was the led display, i mean who doesnt like shiny objects lol.
but in all seriousness a led display that tells me where to look and a second ethernet connection is handy to have.

so i dug in a bit more about the UD5
and i will be taking: GA-X58A-UD5 (rev 2)

aperently rev 2 is 16+2+2 not 12+2+2 power phase

on a side note the UD7 rev 1 is 24+2+2 while rev 2 is 16+2+2 ???

oh well thanks for the help and opinions they really did help.
my next thread for help would probebly be on what the subjest of memory when i do ask it so no need to go at it here.
Score
November 26, 2010 3:09:31 PM

Best answer selected by tomeryaul.
Score
a c 135 V Motherboard
November 27, 2010 8:13:26 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!