Upgrading from amd 955 to 1055 or 1090

acfreman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I am an audio and videophile type person. I'm trying to build a top of the line home theater pc with great audio and video presentation. Right now I have an amd 955 being overclocked to 3.8 ghz with Kingston hyper x ddr3 running 1756 MHz.

What I've notice at the increase of bandwith and frequency, the picture quality is richer and the sound quality is more detail and I'm woundering if stepping up to the amd 1055t or the 1090t processor would improve on these factors.

any input would helpful.

using asus M4A89 Series motherboard with a nvidia gtx 295 video card and a asus Xonar essence stx audio card

I don't understand how the picture quality increases with clock speed.. Anyway, the upgrade to hexa core will benefit you with reduced timings in your encoding and conversion processes especially with video files.. Above than that, i don't see any benefits presently..

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

video play back, isn't that demanding if you even a bottom of the line gpu, and as for audio that would only be effected by your cpu, if you have an integrated audio, and your somehow maxing out your cpu.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
You shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a stock 955 and a 4ghz 1095T in HD playback.

TBH for a home theater setup i'd want the least amount of heat/noise/power as possible, and IMO you're overkilling it already.

Stick with what you have. And if I was you I would downclock your CPU until you can notice the effects, then go back up a notch, then lower the voltage as low as you can get stable.

loneninja

Distinguished

Exactly why I'm sitting on a 1.0Ghz Athlon II X4 630 right now, of course all I need to do is click a few buttons and I've got 3.5Ghz when I actually need the performance. lol

Maybe that will help. ;)

Anyways, as other people have said, For what your doing you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between an overclocked 955 and stock clock 955 and certainly running a GTX 295 as that stuff shouldn't be really all the demanding. :heink:

TRENDING THREADS