Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Quick xfire question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 8, 2010 6:15:57 PM

i know this question has been asked before so sorry for the repeat but im just double checking,

when you crossfire as long as you have the same model i.e HD5830 and they have the same clocks it doesnt matter the manufacturer?right?

like i have a SAPPHIRE 5830 and if i get an msi to crossfire would it be ok?

thanks for the imput in advance, and again sorry for the repeat.

More about : quick xfire question

a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2010 6:33:46 PM

bumpbmxsbc said:
i know this question has been asked before so sorry for the repeat but im just double checking,

when you crossfire as long as you have the same model i.e HD5830 and they have the same clocks it doesnt matter the manufacturer?right?

like i have a SAPPHIRE 5830 and if i get an msi to crossfire would it be ok?

thanks for the imput in advance, and again sorry for the repeat.


It does not matter manufacturer as long as it is the same chip. HD 5830/HD 5830, or HD 5850/HD 5850.

Clocks also do not matter, they will automatically clock down to the slower card. For example an HD 4850 with higher clocks can still be crossfired with the HD 4850 with stock clocks.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 6:40:43 PM

ok thanks, i just wanted to make sure
m
0
l
Related resources
March 8, 2010 6:41:35 PM

Uh, why on earth did you buy the 5830?
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 9:29:15 PM

uses more power than the 5850, costs 240$, loses in benches to the 200$ 4890, barely beats 5770, costs 100$ mopre than 5770, uses way mor epower. You should have either bought a 4890, a 5770, or a 5850.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 10:17:46 PM

i went through 5 of the 5770 cards, all different problems i wasnt going with another one, and i want dx11 and eyefinity, my budget couldnt afford two 5850's. so its perfect for what i need
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2010 10:27:33 PM

builderbobftw said:
uses more power than the 5850, costs 240$, loses in benches to the 200$ 4890, barely beats 5770, costs 100$ mopre than 5770, uses way mor epower. You should have either bought a 4890, a 5770, or a 5850.


Care to show where we can find $200 HD 4890s from a reputable vendor? They're mostly gone, trust me I have looked for some from reputable vendors. Unless you want to buy used.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 10:36:58 PM

You can buy them new of Ebay, cheap.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 11:31:50 PM

but i want new technology, that meaning eyefinity was the main reason i bought the 5830.. why pay about the same price and get dx10 when things are progressing to dx11. i mean i get its beats in the benchmarks but im not just building for fps.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 11:53:53 PM

What about power usage? Or card lenght? Honestly, you should have just bought a 5770 if you're "not just building for fps". It's 100$ cheaper, uses much less power, and is nearly as fast. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I'm just saying i don't like the 5830, and niether do the people at Anandtech/Toms.
m
0
l
March 9, 2010 12:36:22 AM

oh i know, im not trying to be an asshole lol, the original reason i went with the 5770 what for the less power and short lenght while providing good performance but after you go through five cards in a row, one doa, two would get horrible framrates i mean 4 or 5 and the last two )now come to find out it was the driver) i would get gray screens, good fps but i would start the game and my computer would freeze. at that point i was just frusterated with it so i bought a gtx 260 instead. but i recently decidied to give it another go and i promised myself i wouldnt get a 57xx series card for that reason frustration. so i went with what i could afford. granted the 57xx series cards are probably fine now i just wasnt going through ll that hassle again lol
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 1:06:38 AM

builderbobftw said:
You can buy them new of Ebay, cheap.


Sorry mate the only reputable person who was selling a NEW HD 4890 wanted $322 with shipping U.S. dollars.... Out of the other two competing one had 23 transactions, and could hardly be considered reputable. The other one Had 1 transaction. Lastly there was a 3rd one advertising his card as new, but really was an RMA'ed replacement which was opened.

Here's the guy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Radeon-HD-4890-Video-Card-1024M...
m
0
l
March 9, 2010 6:19:04 PM

Well, then you could just buy a 4870 x2 for 250$.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2010 4:14:19 AM

builderbobftw said:
Well, then you could just buy a 4870 x2 for 250$.


Perhaps. Couldnt spot any new however..s

Im not disagreeing with you man two HD 4890's would have beat the HD 5830 but they're all out of every vendor. The HD 4870 x2 are usually always out of stock as well, and the HD 4870 is already disappearing. The HD 4850 won't last long either. Only a matter of time before those are gone too. :|
m
0
l
March 10, 2010 6:24:17 PM

Lol, 2 4850s dominate the 4890, wich beats the 5830 by a wide margin. i would have bought 2 4850s with that budget.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2010 2:45:14 AM

AsAnAtheist said:
Perhaps. Couldnt spot any new however..s

Im not disagreeing with you man two HD 4890's would have beat the HD 5830 but they're all out of every vendor. The HD 4870 x2 are usually always out of stock as well, and the HD 4870 is already disappearing. The HD 4850 won't last long either. Only a matter of time before those are gone too. :|


this is the reason i bought another 4870 1GB right now, not going to be here much longer
m
0
l
March 11, 2010 6:07:48 PM

Alert: 4890s now on Newegg.
m
0
l
!