Deciding on Harddrive Size

nolegrl

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
I'm in the process of setting up a NAS environment for my digital media and files. I'm pretty poor right now, so I'm trying to do this in pieces.

I recently bought a Synology DS212. Ideally, I'd like to get 2 hard drives and set up RAID 1. I'm debating between the 2tb and 3tb Western Digital drives. Right now I have $150 in giftcards for Amazon, and the 2tb WD is $119, the 3tb WD is $160.

I currently have a 2tb external harddrive with most of my data on it and I have 100gb+ leftover. I tend to keep what I have and not delete, so I'm a little worried that I'll use up that 100gb in a few years. Should I spring for the 3tb and wait until later to get another for RAID, or just get 2 2tb drives now?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a sub-$100 UPS. Thanks!

sk1939

Distinguished
The issue with the 3TB drives has to do with reliability; the more platters there are the more likely the drive is to fail. However, Western Digital has the best 3TB drives right now in terms of platter density at 4 platters, whereas other manufactures have 5, possibly 6 platters in a drive less than 1 in tall.

As for a UPS, take a look at Tripp Lite or APC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111123

sk1939

Distinguished
I would do with the 2TB drive, because prices are sure to drop on the larger drives (they are still pricey) and aerial density (data per platter) is sure to increase, rendering the drives more reliable (relatively).