Sign in with
Your question

Socket 1366 CPU Load Lever

Last response: in CPUs
June 3, 2010 1:01:46 AM

Hi all,

I just got an i7-930 and a P6X58D-E for my new rig. The CPU fits into the socket nice and snug, but when I put the load plate down onto the processor and try to push the lever into place I encounter considerable force. I pushed the lever down into it's place, and everything seems secure.... but when I look at the lever it is physically bent. When the lever is laying flat, the middle portion of the lever is slightly higher than the ends.

I've triple checked the socket and CPU to make sure there are no bent pins. The load plate, CPU, and socket all look fine (no defects) but I'm worried that the lever is taking so much pressure to push down. This is not light pressure... I have to push pretty hard.

tl;dr When I lock my processor into place with the CPU load lever, I have to apply so much pressure that the lever is actually bent when it is locked in place. Is this normal?

Thanks!
June 3, 2010 2:19:10 PM

NO. Is the CPU seated in the correct orientation? They have to go in a specific way. Match the arrow on the CPU to the correct corner of the socket.

If thats not it, then definately call for motherboard support. (dont tell them you bent the armature).
June 3, 2010 5:56:32 PM

I am 100% positive that the CPU is in the socket correctly, in the correct orientation. The arrow on the CPU points to the arrow on the socket.

I have not permanently bent the CPU Load Lever. When I lock the CPU lever into place, it is bent, but when I unhook the lever it reforms to its original shape (straight). Remember, this is not a major bend. When the lever is down, it forms a very slight arc (the middle part is higher than the ends).

Late last night I decided that the bend was probably normal, so I went ahead and finished building my rig (installed cpu cooler, mobo into case, etc. etc.). The system booted up fine so I the processor must be fine, but I'm still worried about the force I had to apply to the CPU load lever.

I will try calling ASUS support later today.
Related resources
June 3, 2010 5:58:10 PM

Sounded worse in your first post ;-)
Now it sounds more reasonable and if everything is working then obviously your ok.
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2010 6:42:49 PM

I had the same problem on an EVGA mobo. That little lever does take a LOT of force.

edit: two evga mobos, the original and an RMA.
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2010 7:26:27 PM

Yes, when i was building, I used an Asus P6T w/ and i7 920 and I had to apply very significant force to put it in. Everything works fine though. Just make sure you don't take your cpu in and out as I read that the socket is meant to last 6 times of putting a CPU in before it bails...i think.
June 4, 2010 1:57:55 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Yes, when i was building, I used an Asus P6T w/ and i7 920 and I had to apply very significant force to put it in. Everything works fine though. Just make sure you don't take your cpu in and out as I read that the socket is meant to last 6 times of putting a CPU in before it bails...i think.

O_O

Is that true? That doesn't make much sense. Before I mounted my CPU HSF I took the CPU in and out a bunch of times, thinking it was something wrong with the CPU.

The amount of force I had to apply to the lever wasn't EXTREME, but it was considerable and more than I was uncomfortable with. I mean.... the lever is bent when locked in place so it's obvious quite a bit of force. But hey everything works so I'm cool with it. If I ever hear a "SNAP" sound when I'm using my comp I'll know it was the CPU lever breaking in half.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2010 2:51:40 AM

I just installed an i7 930 in an Asus P6X58D and the amount of force required sent me looking for info on it and I found this. Thanks for the reassurance, I will continue with the build. Hard to believe that flexing the load lever into position is normal but this is my first build so I don't have any other reference.
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2010 4:15:08 PM

Yeah, i was just staring at the socket for a good 10 minutes thinking there ain't no way in hell you need to press down so adsurdly hard but thats how it is.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2010 2:34:11 AM

So Glad I found this thread. I have an MSI Big Bang Motherboard and the instructions say to push down the load lever lightly...Just like the original poster and the others who have posted, I had to give significant force to get the lever down and locked. First build, thanks all for the assurance.
August 23, 2010 6:35:06 AM

very glad i found this, same parts, same problem for me too. guess ill go ahead and use force...
!