I7 2700k vs i7 3770k

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
  • Build
Last response: in Overclocking
February 2, 2013 9:17:12 PM

I'm making a build soon, and after 10 months of research (I've been broke, getting the money soon) I've come up with a build. One problem however, I'm gonna be doing a simple overclock to 4GHz for my undetermined CPU, an i7 2700k/3770k. However, people usually choose the i7 2700k if they are overclocking, since the 3770k heats too much. My question is, if I'll be overclocking my i7 to 4GHz, should I go with a 2700k or 3770k? I want the 3770k's extra power, power efficiency, PCI 3.0, and extra features, but the 2700k draws less heat which means a longer lifespan. What should I choose? I'll also be using the CM Evo 212.

Also, what is the estimated temps for Idle + Under-load temps for both of them?

EDIT: And also, it would be greatly apreaciated if I would be required to change the voltage for a 24/7 stable 4GHz OC on a z77 Sabertooth.

I'll also be doing light video editing.

More about : 2700k 3770k

a b à CPUs
February 2, 2013 9:21:10 PM

I wouldn't worry to much about lifespan on either of these CPU's. Both are pretty equal in terms of performance with a slight edge to the IVY bridge. But for a 4ghz OC you wouldn't even need to touch the voltage on either of these chips so I would throw your worries about heat out the window.

Get the 3770k since it's newer tech and if your only going to 4 ghz it would run cooler and drink less power than a Sandy Bridge
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2013 9:23:16 PM

As far as temps go it can vary wildly from the type of CPU cooler you
re using to the temperature in the room.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 9:32:46 PM

umm, negative, slight edge to sandy bridge, the 2700k regularly OCs much further than the 3770k. average max OC on both processors the 2700k beats the 3770k on synthetic benches. Now, in the real world thats not going to matter much because you will never notice it. ivy bridge is lower wattage, meh, dont matter much on a desktop. If your going to be transcoding video the hd4000 in the ivy bridge has a significant advantage over hd3000 in sandy bridge, intel quick sync is speed up quite a bit and can help in media espresso if thats what you like. personally i still do software transcoding because its the best quality. if none of that matters to you then just go with whatever processor is the best deal and be happy. also with a 212 evo you should have no problem either way of getting to at least 4.2-4.4ghz, 4ghz is aiming a little too low for an OC
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2013 11:01:43 PM

2036575,4,1081197 said:
umm, negative, slight edge to sandy bridge, the 2700k regularly OCs much further than the 3770k. average max OC on both processors the 2700k beats the 3770k on synthetic benches. Now, in the real world thats not going to matter much because you will never notice it. ivy bridge is lower wattage, meh, dont matter much on a desktop. If your going to be transcoding video the hd4000 in the ivy bridge has a significant advantage over hd3000 in sandy bridge, intel quick sync is speed up quite a bit and can help in media espresso if thats what you like. personally i still do software transcoding because its the best quality. if none of that matters to you then just go with whatever processor is the best deal and be happy. also with a 212 evo you should have no problem either way of getting to at least 4.2-4.4ghz, 4ghz is aiming a little too low for an OC[/quotemsg

It depends. not every processor overclocks the same. When you factor in the average overclock for both processors and the %5-%10 ipc improvement there is no real advantage that Sandy Bridge has over Ivy bridge. That is unless you hit the silicone lottery and got a low voltage 5ghz 2700k.

On average 200 mhz closes the gap when it comes to Sandy and Ivy. So a 4.5 ghz Ivy is pretty much the sam performance as a 4.6-4.8 ghz Sandy. From what I've seen most Ivy bridges can do 4.5 ghz w/o any problems at all.

When you factor in the newer technology I just cant see why you would recommend getting a 2700k over a 3770k. Now if it was between say a 3570k or a 2600/2700k I can see an argument to be made.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 12:07:55 AM

Very true bigj very true, although i have seen microcenter deals with z68+2700k for like $289 i believe and for the money, if one does find deals like that, it shouldnt be passed up. Probably the best deal ones going to find on a 3770k would be maybe $299 just for the cpu. But, if the difference is like only an extra 20-30-40 bucks for a z77 and 3770k, then just get ivy bridge and be happy.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 6:02:55 AM

nikoli707 said:
Very true bigj very true, although i have seen microcenter deals with z68+2700k for like $289 i believe and for the money, if one does find deals like that, it shouldnt be passed up. Probably the best deal ones going to find on a 3770k would be maybe $299 just for the cpu. But, if the difference is like only an extra 20-30-40 bucks for a z77 and 3770k, then just get ivy bridge and be happy.

Man I know I see some of these deals Micrcenter has and it blows me away. All I got by me is a computer shop that overprices everything and has terrible selection. I swear the guy just opened shop, ordered his whole stock from Newegg, and then marked up everything 20% for profit Lol.

It makes me wish I had a microcenter around me. Nearest one is over 80 miles away:( 
m
l
!