Sign in with
Your question

Gaming set for April 2nd most parts chosen

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2010 3:50:04 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: April 2nd

BUDGET RANGE: 2200 to 2500 US dollars

Overclocking?: yes

parts already chosen: monitor memory, mobo, cpu, case, PSU, dvd burner, HDDs and SSD

missing parts: gpu, and after market cooling system is missing because i will overclock

parts not needed: The OS

items i suggest for you to look at: PSU dvd burner and hard drives

list link (ignore accessories please) http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

March 24, 2010 12:19:45 PM

You DO NOT want to use the i7-860. Period. It's a cheap workhorse CPU for those that can't afford the i7-930.

Actually, after looking at the rest of the list, you don't want to be building that period. You're wasting money left and right.

Here is what you should buy as far as the tower is concerned:

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Asus P6X58D Premium $580. Much, much better CPU on a much more future proof board.
RAM: G.Skill Pi Series 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $180. Faster sticks. Also, you don't need more than 6 GB of RAM (4 GB on the P55 chipset).
GPU: HD 5970 $700. The best on the market, but you should wait to see what nVidia puts out soon.
HDD: 2x Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $180. Don't waste money on the slow Green series HDDs. I left out a SSD because they're really expensive and you need at least 80 GB to do anything good with them. You can easily stick one in later once the price drops.
PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ $90 after rebate. Great unit. 750W is more than enough for your uses. Not modular because it's unnecessary with a bottom mounted case.
Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate. A much, much better case for less. This is easily the best case on the market.
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $24. Or whatever's cheap
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $35. Easily one of the best HSF out there.
Monitor: Same $200

Total: $2,093. If you really want a SSD, grab either the Corsair Nova 128 GB for $319 or Intel X25-M 80GB for $220. You'll need a 2.5" bay converter though.

Leaves room for the extras, which I'll tell you why you don't need some of the them below.

Case fans: Unnecessary. You have more than enough cooling already.
SATA cables: Motherboard will come with some already (4 I believe). You don't need extras.
LEDs: Unecessary, as you don't have have a window with the HAF.
Noise kit: Waste of money. It won't make any difference.
USB addons: Unless you use a BUNCH of USB devices at once, I think this isn't needed.
March 24, 2010 6:50:57 PM

i agree only on The HFS
i like maximus 3 as it has a very good sound card, memperfect , and great stuff

since the only 1156 socket i7 is 860 i have no other choice (unless asus makes the fourmla 3 version for 1366 sockets)
sata cables are for back up
leds are staying because i am into full towers and HAF 922 is military style, and mid tower and i am not into that

i need 8gs because since mobo is A 1156 6s wont be as effctive so i have to go to 8gs
Related resources
March 24, 2010 7:06:52 PM

May I ask what you are going to be doing that needs 8GB of RAM?

Fair enough if the HAF 922 is not your style, but it is longer and wider than the Thermaltake Element V, altho slightly less tall, so I don't really think you can put size as a negative.
March 24, 2010 7:09:54 PM

wait for the asus rampage III
March 24, 2010 7:12:49 PM

The HAF 922 is bigger than many full towers, including that Thermaltake.

As for the Maximus, you're paying a lot for not a whole lot.

Why are you so hung up on an i7-860 anyway? You can afford a good i7-930 build (the one above), and the i7s aren't even that good for gaming.

You also don't need more tha 4 GB of RAM. It doesn't help you in gaming at all.
March 24, 2010 7:14:53 PM

Don_Dana said:
i agree only on The HFS
i like maximus 3 as it has a very good sound card, memperfect , and great stuff

since the only 1156 socket i7 is 860 i have no other choice (unless asus makes the fourmla 3 version for 1366 sockets)
sata cables are for back up
leds are staying because i am into full towers and HAF 922 is military style, and mid tower and i am not into that

i need 8gs because since mobo is A 1156 6s wont be as effctive so i have to go to 8gs

a very good sound card is a very silly reason to be married to that board. listen to the people trying to help you, and ditch that thing and go with a 930 build. an 860 build, with your budget, simply because you have a crush on a specific motherboard, is worse than foolish.
March 24, 2010 7:27:50 PM

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Mad Admiral there on a few points, most notably storage. 30GB is pretty small for a boot drive. I assume you will use that for your OS and that doesn't leave much space for programs and games. Even if you install all your programs on the other drives, programs will still try and install supporting files on the boot drive (because it will be labeled drive c: ). If you boot from one of the other drives, then having the 30GB SSD makes even less sense. The 1.5TB green series drive also isn't a great choice if performance is your goal. For an SSD I would say get at least a 128GB drive, or two 60GB drives to run in RAID 0, since anything less than that limits it's usefulness, and then you could just use one 1.5TB green drive for file storage. If that's too much for you, then just go with a 3 1TB WD Black Drives in RAID 5 (the board supports it) as that will give you 2TB in effective storage (third HD used for parity) and some great performance.

As for the motherboard and CPU, yeah, I think LGA 1366 is a better option for a performance machine. Still, if you wanna stay with this board, then you need liquid cooling to get the most out of the CPU because extreme overclocking is what that board is for. Otherwise, you're better off with a cheaper board and a dedicated high quality sound card.

March 24, 2010 8:50:21 PM

Quote:
As for the motherboard and CPU, yeah, I think LGA 1366 is a better option for a performance machine. Still, if you wanna stay with this board, then you need liquid cooling to get the most out of the CPU because extreme overclocking is what that board is for. Otherwise, you're better off with a cheaper board and a dedicated high quality sound card.

meh...water cooling is usually pricey MadAdmiral already suggest the hyper 212+ it should do fine

Quote:
or an SSD I would say get at least a 128GB drive, or two 60GB drives to run in RAID 0

128gs sounds good because i hate raid 0 (fail rate is higher)

Quote:
a very good sound card is a very silly reason to be married to that board. listen to the people trying to help you, and ditch that thing and go with a 930 build. an 860 build, with your budget, simply because you have a crush on a specific motherboard, is worse than foolish.

i might go with 930 if ASUS makes the rampage edition for the maximus 3 (1366 socket) if not then i have to get at least a 1156 socket i7 btw i didnt say i want the mobo because i sound i had some reason other then sound i didnt go SOUND IS AWSOME ITS SOO COOL LOLOL!!!11 think man :pfff: 

Quote:
The HAF 922 is bigger than many full towers, including that Thermaltake.
yea like what 1 to 2 inches? that Difference is BS :l

Quote:
You also don't need more tha 4 GB of RAM. It doesn't help you in gaming at all.

Quote:
May I ask what you are going to be doing that needs 8GB of RAM?

6 or 8gs is needed when you got games that are heavily modded and doing a lot of multitasking
March 24, 2010 8:56:58 PM

why did you even post a thread here if you're just going to argue against advice whenever someone offers it. you've clearly already chosen your build. you would prefer to spend more money for less performance and future upgradeability. just go build it already.
March 24, 2010 9:42:03 PM

Quote:
why did you even post a thread here if you're just going to argue against advice whenever someone offers it.

why do you even care posting this? :??: 

1. some stuff wont fit my needs or my interest, but i am agreeing to some ideas (i didn't say no to everything else)

2.i am not trying to argue against your guys advice, the problem is some the suggestions i just don't agree on. if you guys thinks that wasn't reasonable all i can say is sorry.

3. i am not the typical gamer....i need more memory because of my modded games and doing multiple tasking at the same time

4. FACTS.....where are ALL the facts why this is better then this? I am not seeing the full picture for some of your guys parts you suggest maybe thats why i say no to some ideas and parts.

5. if you don't want to help then go to a different post because i am not really in the mod for this
Quote:
you would prefer to spend more money for less performance and future upgrade ability

and this
Quote:
very good sound card is a very silly reason to be married to that board.

if you think i prefer to spend for less performance then i should really care less about your suggestions and points if you wanna be like that. :pfff:  and i really don't care if you think its true.

if i sounded a bit harsh...its because i need to be crystal clear. :) 

all i want right now is get back in the middle of the topic and finish this (the right way without a flame war) so we can move and forget this

March 24, 2010 9:51:52 PM

thanks
March 24, 2010 10:02:00 PM

Well $400 is about enough to get a 5870. Unless you are thinking about eventually tri-firing them you should get a quality 750W PSU that costs less than that 850HX as that should give you some more leeway to get a heatsink and still be plenty of power for two 5870s.
March 24, 2010 10:13:57 PM

what mad said wait for the GF 100 series....I want to see what GF 100 can do in its benchmarks on march 26

could a 750 handle 2 over clocked cards with a OC cpu and a couple of fans?
March 24, 2010 10:17:39 PM

Yes, a good PSU that can deliver 750W on it's 12V rail(s) could handle what you specified, assuming the card was the 5870.
March 25, 2010 3:46:05 AM

i will wait for GF official power reiqs. (unless GF 100 fails big type) is there something i can add to the list to make the case look more cool or stylish so it looks impressive and well done?
March 25, 2010 10:14:36 AM

Well, good luck. And don't worry about the criticism, I think it's the OPs prerogative to decline certain advice and accept other advice. I mean, if I were to suggest a 500W PS, then you're probably not going to go "OMG! That's GREAT! Thanks!". So, good luck with this, hope it works out for you man.
March 25, 2010 2:00:06 PM

@jack-o thanks and BTW do you know some kind of part that can make my case (element v) look even better?
March 25, 2010 2:17:03 PM

How are you defining "look better"? Do you want some sort of cold cathode lighting kit? Or different LED fans or something? Or are you talking about some sort of exterior addition/mod?

Just sayin', "look better" is really subjective, and without any hint as to what you're talking about, there's not a lot to suggest.
March 25, 2010 2:49:38 PM

i mean by a cold cathode kit or a simple case mod
March 26, 2010 3:40:50 AM

i think i will take some red cathodes
March 26, 2010 3:42:22 AM

all i need is a graphics card all i want right now to see PAXX open and the benchmarks of a gf 100
!