hoppingpulse

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I just purchased an OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD and wanted to know if TRIM should be enabled on it. Is that something all SSD's should have enabled and how do I enable it, through the bios? Thanks for any help.

Solution
TRIM is not an ssd feature. TRIM is a Microsoft Windows feature that first appeared in Windows 7. The Windows TRIM feature is enabled by default. No need to do anything.

TRIM is a message sent to the ssd that a user has deleted data. The TRIM feature compliments the ssd's "garbage collection" process. Modern ssd's have very good garbage collection that is capable of handling the process even without Windows TRIM. The reason for that is there are still a few situations like ssd's in RAID arrays that do not use the Windows TRIM feature.

TRIM is not an ssd feature. TRIM is a Microsoft Windows feature that first appeared in Windows 7. The Windows TRIM feature is enabled by default. No need to do anything.

TRIM is a message sent to the ssd that a user has deleted data. The TRIM feature compliments the ssd's "garbage collection" process. Modern ssd's have very good garbage collection that is capable of handling the process even without Windows TRIM. The reason for that is there are still a few situations like ssd's in RAID arrays that do not use the Windows TRIM feature.

Solution

hoppingpulse

Distinguished
May 12, 2011

Wow I was way off, thanks alot, great to learn about where it came from and what it does.