Sign in with
Your question

Computer Freezes, Screen Colors Change to Purple/Blue

Last response: in Storage
April 23, 2012 7:02:51 PM

Hello,

My computer has recently developed as issue wherein after watching youtube videos for a while, the screen will suddenly change to hues of purple and blue, the mouse cursor will change to a straight line, and seconds later the system will freeze completely. Usually I have to do a hard reset, but the other night the system randomly recovered from this state without issue (or error report). I'll attach pictures of this if I can figure out how.

Sometimes audio will continue to play and the strange-looking mouse cursor will continue to move even though the system at large has stopped responding. Eventually, though, whether a couple seconds or a minute or so later, the system inevitably freezes completely

Potentially Relevant Info:
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
2 RAID 0 SSDs + 2 HDDs
Nvidia GTX 560 (not overclocked,)
P6T Mobo

Potential Causes:
1)Video Card - Because of the nature of this issue, the video card was my first guess. I don't understand what the issue could be given the fact that there are no issues at all while the card is under extreme load while HD-gaming, but there are issues when watching videos on youtube. I tried updating the video card drivers to latest and the issue is still present.

2) SSD - I'm not super familiar with the types of issues SSDs can have, but perhaps this is one? I have moved the page file to an HDD, but Windows always reserves some space on the SSD (system drive) for a small page file. Perhaps there's a bad sector in the NAND and the SSDs stop responding when hitting it? I don't know. Just a hypothesis. I also don't see this as very possible because I don't run into this issue at all except when watching full screen youtube videos. If it was indeed an issue with the SSD, I would think that any type of computer work would lead to this problem eventually. That seems to not be the case.

3) Firefox's hardware-accelerated graphics. This is relatively new. Perhaps something in FF is not playing well with my video card drivers

a c 283 G Storage
April 24, 2012 1:05:17 AM

Disable Firefox hardware accelerated graphics. There are known compatability issues with a variety of video cards and video drivers.

Are you trying to watch full screen videos? Trying to watch full screen videos is another known problem.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 24, 2012 10:42:27 AM

Sounds like it could be bad video memory.
m
l
Related resources
a c 289 G Storage
April 25, 2012 12:57:20 PM

I've had strange video problems and seen that my GPU temp was way high. Think of this as a possibility less likely than the previous two.
m
l
December 26, 2012 7:23:41 AM

To anyone having similar problems to this, it was definitely a GPU driver issue. Super lame.
m
l
!