Sign in with
Your question

Need some pointers for OC on 3570k.

Last response: in Overclocking
February 3, 2013 12:38:46 AM

Hello, in the near future I will be building myself a new gaming rig. This will be my first build. I want to overclock the 3570k processor, but I have never overclocked either. I tried to once on my current store bought PC but the BIOS would not allow it.

I don't really know anything about overclocking at all. I read somewhere that with the 3570k you can overclock to 4.0-4.2ghz without having to change your voltage, is this true? If this is true, since I am inexperienced to overclocking I may go this route first before I try going any higher. What sort of cooler would you recommend for me to do that overclock? I have been looking at the Corsair h70, but as I said I am an OC newbie, I don't know if this cooler would be sufficient.

Any tips on this matter and overclocking in general is greatly appreciated, thanks!

More about : pointers 3570k

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2013 1:33:49 AM

Hey,

Yes the i5 3570k can easily get to 4ghz. How far you get depends from chip to chip and on your cooling (but 4ghz can be done rather easily). Ivy Bridge CPU's run hotter than Sandy bridge so I recommend you get some nice cooling. I would not go with the h70, but with a good air cooler. For a similar price you could get a Noctua NH D14 ($80). It is an excellent air cooler, and its a better choice than a closed loop liquid cooler. If you are on a budget you could go with the CM hyper 212 as Azn Cracker pointed out. It too is a good cooler and considering the price its a great deal.

There are many articles about overclocking the i5 3570k, so take a look at some of the stickies found here in the overclocking forum of Tomshardware.

Hope this helps!
Related resources
February 3, 2013 1:37:36 AM

Best answer selected by rowdymoody.
February 3, 2013 2:31:54 AM

Thanks for the reply, I have decided to go with an air cooler. I am backing out of the water loop idea out of fear of leaking all over my brand new build, or even later on down the road for that matter.

I was wanting to go with a water loop because I fancy the cleaner look of it compared to a big block of a heatsink with fans on it.

I have been shopping around and I have found the Thermaltake CLP0554, I love the way that it looks. Plus the red would match my case and lighting scheme real nice, I think this is the one I am going to use.

I know that I can easily achieve the 4ghz OC on the 3570k, What I am mainly wondering is if I can do so without having to alter my voltage. Is that doable or will I need to up the voltage to achieve the 4ghz?
February 3, 2013 2:42:20 AM

Also, if you wouldn't mind can you point me in the direction of these guides? I am relatively new to TH and cannot seem to find them : /
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 9:29:39 AM

Ninjawithagun said:
I highly disagree with choosing to go with air cooling. At a recent LAN party, the air conditioner failed and the temps inside the gaming room went up to over 90F. As a result, most of the computers in the room that were using the top-of-the-line air coolers crashed due to overheating. The only computers 'left standing' after the room temperature reached over 95F were all liquid cooled systems. Both of these systems were using Corsair CPU cooling solutions. One was using a Corsair H100i and mine was using a Corsair H110. Needless to say, a lot of the other computer owners were jealous of our setups and went out the next day and upgraded their air cooling solutions to liquid cooling solutions. Some chose Corsair, while others chose NZXT or Thermaltake. Don't find yourself making the same mistake! Do it right the first time and get yourself a good liquid cooling solution for your CPU.

lol this is such an old thread. But when your AC fails, you have better things to worry about than gaming. plus how often does AC fail? By analogy, people should always wear parachutes when they are on a plane and people should wear full face helmets while driving.
!