Sign in with
Your question

How do I install an IDE disc on a Dell Optiplex gx280N running on xp.

Last response: in Windows XP
December 3, 2012 5:19:28 AM

How do I install an IDE disc on a Dell optiplex gx280 running on xp
December 3, 2012 4:02:11 PM

Open the case, plug in the disk to a free IDE cable connection, if the cable is shared with another drive, you need to set the second disk to master or make sure the auto detect positions are correct. If the drive is on it's own cable, just make sure it's not set to "slave" and you should be all set. Turn on PC, create a partition on the drive in Windows and format it for use.
m
l
December 4, 2012 2:23:07 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Open the case, plug in the disk to a free IDE cable connection, if the cable is shared with another drive, you need to set the second disk to master or make sure the auto detect positions are correct. If the drive is on it's own cable, just make sure it's not set to "slave" and you should be all set. Turn on PC, create a partition on the drive in Windows and format it for use.

Thank You for your reply. Actually I did what you said above yesterday. But I already have an 80 gb in it and, so, I pulled out the jumper or the new hard drive to make it a slave. But I don't understand what the auto detect positions are.

One problem is that the existing drive was SATA and what I installed was IDE and someone said that usually have some compatibility issues (or in his words 'they box each other').

One thing I did is that on the disc management part it detected the new drive and by right clicking on it I allocated it and changed it into basic (as the SATA is on Basic) and formatted it. But it couldn't finish formatting (even though it indicated 100%) and showed a dialogue box that it discontinued for configuration problem. If it is useful the disc read Disc 0 and the SATA (already installed one reads Disc 1).

Is there something that I need to do on the setup including the boot sequence order and .... that can solve this ?!

Thanks

m
l
December 7, 2012 12:00:29 PM

If the other drive is SATA, you don't need to do anything, the jumper settings would only be used if you had 2 IDE drives. Your IDE drive will be the Master if it's the only thing on the IDE cable. The boot order you set in the BIOS. It should have formatted it though unless the drive is bad.
m
l
Related resources
!