Sign in with
Your question

Need help cooling the case

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2010 6:40:46 AM

Hi, my pc temperatures were too high and so I bought a new case (which had room for extra fans) to help cool my pc better. The case I bought was a Coolermaster Elite 310 (no side window). It has room for 4 fans, 2 on the side, one on the front and back (front only supports a 120mm fan).

I have a Intel Dual core E2180 cpu 2.0Ghz (no overclocking) and a 1GB Nvidia 9800gt (no overclocking) (which has a small fan built in). The temperatures are a bit too high (GPU idles at around 50-55C, sometimes 60C) and the cpu at around 50C.

I've read all the guides and everything about how to put the case fans in order to achieve best cooling, but still I don't seem to get the temperatures down. I'm a bit new to all this custom PC making :) 

I have 3 fans, 2 x 120mm and 1 x 80mm. How should I put them in order to get the temperatures down?

More about : cooling case

March 24, 2010 8:40:09 AM

Put a front 120mm intake fan in the front. An 120MM exhaust on the rear. The 80MM as an exhaust on the top part of the side. Some may say to use it as an intake, but I find I messes up the air flow too much. Oh yeah your max temp load is 71, so try to keep it under that. The GPU u don't have to worry about much about, because the max temp is 105. If you temperature doesn't reduce, clean your CPU cooler off. If your temperature software still says its hot then put your hand by the exhaust fan and see if its blowing out hot air. If its not blowing hot air then its not a problem with your case. Therefore buy an aftermarket heatsink. Good Luck -killer
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 11:13:32 AM

CPU idle temps are kind of high. Are you sure the heatsink is installed properly?

GPU temps are OK. Don't worry about them.
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2010 2:00:27 PM

killerhurts said:
Put a front 120mm intake fan in the front. An 120MM exhaust on the rear. The 80MM as an exhaust on the top part of the side. Some may say to use it as an intake, but I find I messes up the air flow too much. Oh yeah your max temp load is 71, so try to keep it under that. The GPU u don't have to worry about much about, because the max temp is 105. If you temperature doesn't reduce, clean your CPU cooler off. If your temperature software still says its hot then put your hand by the exhaust fan and see if its blowing out hot air. If its not blowing hot air then its not a problem with your case. Therefore buy an aftermarket heatsink. Good Luck -killer

Thanks, I'll try putting the fans as you said and then post the results :) 
Oh and yes, the exhaust fan is blowing hot air out. I don't want to spend more on an aftermarket cooler (I've spent enough already :D  ).

@jsc: Yes, the heatsink is installed properly, could the problem be with the thermal compound used? I've used a ceramic one (cheap one, it was the only thing available where I live).

PS: Pardon my lack of knowledge, but are the gpu temp's of 55-60C on idle, normal? I mean, when I play some games like Bully, the temp's go upto 80C, not too high?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2010 3:46:26 PM

Your GPU temps are fine. It's a little nerve racking to look at, but they are. My 8800GTX gets up around 80C as well. It's redundant, but make sure you're HSF is on correctly. My Q6600 @ 3.42 rarely breaks 50C under load.
m
l
!