Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Simple question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 8, 2010 10:50:02 PM

If I use a high end card with 2xDVI and a HDMI outputs, can I run three monitors? I have 2 17" and a 24" with HDMI socket. Would they all need to be on the same resolution? Are there any particulars I need to be concerned about?
Thanks for your feedback,
Ron

More about : simple question

Best solution

a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 8, 2010 11:22:13 PM

You will need to buy an HD5 series card to run three monitors.
Share
March 8, 2010 11:27:02 PM

Understood, but otherwise, not a problem, huh.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 8, 2010 11:55:04 PM

Best answer selected by RPinSC.
m
0
l
March 9, 2010 1:56:47 AM

shadow187 said:
You will need to buy an HD5 series card to run three monitors.


One last piece of advice needed. All the HD5770 cards say I need to utilize the Display Port if I use the 2 DVI. I see converters for DP to either HDMI or DVI as my monitors are not DP capable. I will have to go one of those two routes. Any recommendation which one I should travel down?
Thanks Shadow for your help
Ron
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 9, 2010 4:14:49 AM

If one of your other monitors uses VGA you can get a cheap DP to VGA adapter and use the DVI and HDMI ports for the other two monitors. Otherwise you will need an expensive DP to DVI/HDMI adapter which will set you back $100.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...
It seems only about 95%+ of people got this DP to VGA adapter to work in the thread above.

DP to DVI/HDMI. Or Google B087B-002B for other suppliers.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/prod...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
March 9, 2010 11:51:32 AM

paperfox said:
If one of your other monitors uses VGA you can get a cheap DP to VGA adapter and use the DVI and HDMI ports for the other two monitors. Otherwise you will need an expensive DP to DVI/HDMI adapter which will set you back $100.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...
It seems only about 95%+ of people got this DP to VGA adapter to work in the thread above.

DP to DVI/HDMI. Or Google B087B-002B for other suppliers.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/prod...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Aha, several ways to skin a cat...Could I use DP to VGA, and 2 DVIs?
Is there a specific reason to use the HDMI verses DVI?
So much to learn with so few brain cells left....
Thanks
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2010 11:56:53 AM

RPINSC said:
Aha, several ways to skin a cat...Could I use DP to VGA, and 2 DVIs?
Is there a specific reason to use the HDMI verses DVI?
So much to learn with so few brain cells left....
Thanks


DVI and HDMI are identical when it comes to video. DVI can't support digital audio.
m
0
l
March 9, 2010 2:57:45 PM

Without doing a White Paper, can someone explain to me why these 5000 series cards cannot use 2xDVI and HDMI at the same time? It may be true for even higher # cards also.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 9, 2010 8:07:43 PM

This is a bit on the technical side but I believe it has to do with the 5000 series only having two TMDS's circuits that allow for DVI and HDMI to transmit their Digital signal. Obviously since their are only two of these TMDS circuits only two out of the three DVI/HDMI outputs will work. (why ATI decided to only put two TMDS's on is beyond me)

VGA and DP use something else (I have no Idea what they are called). Apparently if you use a DP to VGA adapter on the DP port it will force the card to use a RAMDAC circuit, thus allowing you to use three monitors.

Most of this info comes from this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279385-33-success-eye...
TheGreatGrapeApe takes all the credit.
m
0
l
!