Phenom II X4 965 BE OC

anderl12

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hey guys,

A friend of mine has a lil old machine ( he wants to upgrade soon ) - board: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H; CPU: Phenom II X4 965 BE; GPU: Asus GTS450.

He just bought a Thermalright HR-02 Macho to OC, it runs good, we were able to put the CPU at 3.8GHz almost completely stable but it still bugs in LoL. Firstly, we tried 4.0GHz, tried increasing Northbridge freq, HT link and also have set Vcore to 1.5V but it still gave BSOD. I guess 1.5V is the max safe for this, can i increase it? Is it just bad settings or the motherboard can't get the CPU to 4.0GHz?

Iirc there are issues with the 785 chipset for overclocking, but thats not to say you can't get the best from it with some effort
4Ghz is a reasonable target tbh but 3.8 ain't no slouch in gaming, the cards the weak spot there imo
I'd leave the Nb and HT at 2000 until you find the chips limit through multiplier manipulation, whats the idle temp on that cooler like at 1.5v? you may be able to push closer to the 1.55v limit than you think
Moto

So I'd assume you have Cool and quiet turned on?
it throttles down when idling so that will mean you are idling on about 1v so idle temps won't alter whatever the overclock,
You should disable things like thermal throttling and C&q when overclocking and re-enable after you find a stable clock
Moto

anderl12

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
I disabled Cool 'n Quiet just before starting to mess up with settings. But I only saw temps with 1.5V one or two times because at 4.0GHz I wasn't even able to run a single program because it'd BSOD and sometimes even BSOD before the welcome screen.

:)
It shouldn't be idling at a lower voltage then,
it should idle at whatever voltage you set, 1.5v or whatever and there would be a difference between a chip using 1v and 1.5v heatwise
Have you been in the Amd overclocking thread?
its stickied up top with the Black edition clocking guide and you can see what others have done to their Denebs, maybe a tweak or two you could use
Moto

anderl12

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Yeah, I did. I read it before making this topic, but it doesn't tell much ( like max. safe voltages to not burn the CPU - yes, I know it's different from cooler to cooler, but there should be a very max. safe voltage that none should get to ).

So, is it safe to go up to 1.55V as you said?

The worst thing is that the BIOS doesn't allow me to set my own numbers in voltage/clock, I must choose from the list and it only has 0.025V increases and .5 clock ratio increases ).

Deneb chips have a 'maximum' voltage of 1.55v but be aware that Psus will flicker the current, if you set at 1.55v you may see higher readings in Cpu-z, depending on your psu it may be a substantial difference so set the voltage accordingly to give yourself 1.55v (if you decide to push that high)
I've had my 975 on 1.58v to reach 4.6GHz but I'm on a serious water loop, no aircooler could hope to handle the heat produced there,
and yes, mobos work in increments so its a gentle juggle to get as close as you can to your required voltage,
If you want to keep pushing the current then do, but be very aware of temps and max your cooling as much as you can
Moto

anderl12

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Good, I'll try to push a lil more than 1.5V to see if I'm able to push it to 4GHz. I'm just a lil worried because PII X4 965 BE has a TDP of 125W and the PSU ain't that good ( it's a LC-Power 6650 v2.3, I guess, but I'm not sure, let me see if I remember it/find it saved on my conversations in Skype.. Nop, don't have it unfortunately. I remember it gives 350-400W on the +12V rail with 80% efficiency, but I know it never gives that much ).

I'll also OC the GTS450, it doesn't have a pretty awesome cooler, but should be enough for lil OC.

Another thing, default Vcore is 1.4V, but I saw videos and the default Vcore was set at 1.35V, why that? Mobo was same.

1.55v (if you decide to push that high)

I gotta push it that high, it doesn't get stable with lower voltages :s Or can it be any other thing that is not making it stable, should I lower memory speed, can default memory speed unstabilize the PC?

Pushing 4.6GHz puts my TDP at 182w :p
I wouldn't clock the card if the Psu is questionable, let the Cpu get as much strong current as possible
as for the voltage differences on videos, maybe a different chip revision?
the Original chips needed/liked more power than later revisions and the C3 is widely regarded as the best for clocking high
Moto

I usually set my ram to 1333 or 1066 when pushing, I also have to drop the timings to 11,11,11,30 1T to keep things chugging along
I only mentioned 'If you decide to push' as its entirely up to you whether or not you are happy/comfortable doing it, I didn't want you thinking I'd said 'You need xxx Volts' and feeling pushed into it
I'm off to slaughter noobs on Crysis3 for a bit but I'll check back before I go to work tonight, have fun :)
Moto

The link was in the guide to look that information up yourself.

But seeing as how you say it didn't tell you much indicates you probably skimmed over it, and that's a big mistake when it comes to CPU voltage.

The more voltage you use the hotter it gets!

The hotter it gets the closer to instability you get!

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

One of the CPUs tested and used to write the guide in the first place was a 965BE successfully overclocked to 4.3ghz on air cooling, and not as good of an air cooler as you're using, I suggest you go back and read the guide you should reach 4.0ghz with your hands tied behind your back as thousands of others have.

When it comes to helping you I don't take you by the hand an walk you through it, I spent my time writing the Guide the rest is up to you.

anderl12

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
The link was in the guide to look that information up yourself.

But seeing as how you say it didn't tell you much indicates you probably skimmed over it, and that's a big mistake when it comes to CPU voltage.

It says nothing about max safe CPU voltage - and that's what I'm talking about, I'd like to see where you wrote about that because I really can't find it.

The more voltage you use the hotter it gets!

The hotter it gets the closer to instability you get!

I'm not dumb, I know that, but if it doesn't get stable at that voltage, what do you want to do?

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

Again, says nothing about max safe voltage.

One of the CPUs tested and used to write the guide in the first place was a 965BE successfully overclocked to 4.3ghz on air cooling, and not as good of an air cooler as you're using, I suggest you go back and read the guide you should reach 4.0ghz with your hands tied behind your back as thousands of others have.

And how about the board? Should have read the topic, the PC is not using any high end mobo, it's using a 785 chipset mobo.

The topic clearly says I should set voltages in Auto except CPU voltage and multiplier, and keep increasing multiplier by .5, which I did till I got BSODs at 3.9GHz, and then I started increasing voltage which is by default 1.4v. I did exactly how you wrote in the topic.

Sorry if something looked a bit rude.

Anyway, I already got my answers. I'll do it by myself.

There are no maximum safe voltages past 1.40v the spec voltage your CPU, just because it worked for someone else doesn't mean it's universal, you could possibly fry it at 1.42v, because all hardware is different.

Memory stability has everything to do with it, that's basically the foundation you're building on, so that has to be bullet proof!

True motherboard capabilities are different, and that will also be the limiting overclock factor.

Possibly you cannot get around that, but that's the difference between buying hardware specifically to overclock and deciding one day to overclock an old setup.

Good Luck! and Good Bye!

anderl12

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
The computer isn't mine and yea, my friend and I discussed yesterday about that of buying hardware specifically for hardware, when he asked in a forum for build he didn't mention OC. We'll try to go up to 4GHz today.

Thank you anyway, and sorry if my answers sounded a lil rude :)

anderl12

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Got the CPU to 3.9GHz, was able to take it to test 8 in Blend mode in Prime95 ( about 6-10 minutes of testing which is much more than before ), but only at 1.525V voltage. Then it gave BSOD. Should I increase voltage again or mess up with memory speed? It's at 800MHz atm.

EDIT: Got it to the second test ( 11º test already ) at 3.9GHz with 1.55V. I'm gonna try 3DMark06 now.

EDIT2: Ran 3DMark06 and now trying Heaven Benchmark, running fine till now.

EDIT3: Increased to 4GHz and got BSOD right after some seconds of Blend test in Prime95. Guess I'll just keep it at 3.9GHz.

YES

You went the wrong way :lol: The Gigabyte 785G-UD2H is quite bad to over-volt, and you are only making it worse by continually cranking the Vcore.

under-VOLT! (clap clap clap clap clap)

The default Vcore is not 1.4v ... here is a C2 PhII 550BE unlocked and under-volted on a 785G-UD2H:
950be-2400nb-stress-minus-point-125.jpg

Return to stock clocks and set your Vcore at minus 0.025v. Raise the multiplier in .5 increments until you fail --- then bump the Vcore +0.0125.

Test ... and re-test!

Edit: My under-volt above dropped the power at at the wall over 30% at load!

(to something like 133w!)

anderl12

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
The default Vcore is not 1.4v

Yes, it is. It's what appears on BIOS and in CPU-Z.

Under-volting will not help in anything, it won't make the system stable. Either I'll OC it to 3.8GHz/4GHz or leave it in stock.