Need help with Windows 7 and failed HD

superjonesy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Long story short, I got an error message about my data drive. Windows 7 said failure was imminent and to back up all data. I tried restarting my computer and it failed to POST or boot due to the dead drive. I had to disconnect the drive in order to boot. The drive was addressed as the "D" drive.

I had some programs on the drive, and all of my downloads, etc. Basically anything non-essential as I use a SSD main drive for OS+essentials.

Now, the problem I am getting comes when I try to uninstall or delete things that Windows 7 still sees as addressed to "D"

I have changed my indexing options in windows 7 to omit "D" and restarted, but I still see these dead pathways.

Is there any way to cleanly remove all traces of "D" so that when I replace the dead drive with a new one there is no conflict? Am I just worried for nothing?

I am sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I don't know what I should search for to get the answer(s) I need.

Thanks in advance.

TLDR; My dead and uninstalled hard drive leaves ghost programs and pathways that I would like to remove.

superjonesy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Really don't want to bump posts here, but I am pretty desperate for a response. Especially since I wish to replace the failed drive and not have any conflicts with pathways on the D drive.