CPU Voltage Fluctuates

php_wizardry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have a phenom ii x3 720 on a ta790gx 128M ver 5.x motherboard. On default and overlocked settings my cpu vcore voltage goes from 1.47 to a 1.1 under load. When its not under load its back up to 1.47. But when I run prime95, its drops big time, causing my system to crash. Any idea how to fix this, without replacing something...thanks in advance.

jsigur

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
yes, some motherboards have v-droop control and this is something thqat has to be enabled in the bios.When there is no v-droopo control, you have to set your cpu voltage .5 volts or so above what it needs underload,. V-droop is a protection device for the motherboard but many overclockers buy mobos that cazn disable it

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
On another angle just out of curiosity, that cpu defaults @ 1.325v yet you say 1.47. Does that mean you raised the volttage for your overclock?
Also since the sensors either internal/cpu or motherboard temp throttle the chip back when overheating (by lowering voltage) would this indicate C1E is turned on or cooln'quiet is still on. Been too long since I read that material to remember which method is used but I thing it's voltage drop.?
I have this feeling someone's going to say vdroop is voltage throttle back.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
I think the voltages are set to auto, if you set them to a specific value then i dont think the voltages would fluctuate. and i think your psu is weak. hope i helped.

jsigur

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

voltages fluctuate underload. Motherboards that disable v-droop, make that fluctuation less, sometimes in the case of my Rampage 2 with bios revision 1804, they can raise the voltage underload. Just learn your mobo's particular habit in this area.