Sign in with
Your question

Seeking Feedback On New Build

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2010 7:18:24 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Early to Mid April

BUDGET RANGE: $1600 Before Rebates (Including Shipping)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Mass Effect 2, Call Of Duty, MMO's, etc...)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitors, Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com (Yes MadAdmiral, if ya read this, I'M BUILDING IT :p  lol)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Core I7, Coolermaster Storm Sniper Case

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (Not Necessarily Right away, but maybe in the future)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, just not now

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just seeking feedback on peoples opinions of my choice of parts, etc... Been playing around with part selection and prices for about 4 hours now and finally settled, now i'm just curious as to what all u bada$$ pro's think :p 

Coolermaster Storm Sniper (I understand ppl think this is an overpriced case, but considering the haf 922 has no side dust filters and this one is much better for transporting to and from parties, its worth the 30 bucks to me)

Western Digital Caviar Back 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Sata 3.0Gb/s

Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 256-Bit PCIE 2.0 x16

Corsair TX CMPSU 950W (If the 850w comes back in before i buy i will most definetly get that instead, but atm, its sold out)

GSKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

Intel Core I7 930

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 MoBo (Went based on the recommendation of performance and value from our very own Tomshardware reviews :)  Ty for the great info)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

ASUS Black 24x DVD Burner

Final Price: $1,562.93 After Shipping

Ty to anyone and everyone who's posted on my posts before, You all have been helpful in your advice, and I thank you for it.

More about : seeking feedback build

March 24, 2010 8:10:56 AM

^ That is a good build...

1. The ASRock is good but take a look at the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R too...
You get USB3.0/ SATA 6GB/s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. Graphics card - There also other options like MSI Lighting and also these card, which are cheaper...You can easily set the cards to run at even 900Mhz without any issues using the CCC...So I dont think its necessary to spend extra bucks on a overclocked card...

3. PSU - How about these ? For nearly the same price, you get high quality 850W modular PSU
SILVERSTONE ST85F-P 850W
Antec TPQ-850 850W

4. HDD - IMO the Samsung F3 and the Seagate 7200.12 are better as they are newer and run faster because of the single platter design...
m
l
March 24, 2010 9:12:54 AM

I did at one point look at the Gigabyte mobo, however my primary concern with that motherboard was 2 things.

Firstly, all the PCIe 16 Slots are extremely close together, and since I have no desire to go beyond 2 Crossfire, their just extra slots I dont need, plus it would disrupt airflow to the Graphics Cards. Secondly, I've gotten ASrock before in my first build, its been a nice purchase for me that served every need, so its a slight loyalty factor. The ASrock board came very highly recommended on Toms Hardware as well, and it fits my entire structure of needs for now and the future. However tyvm for the opinion and I would gladly take recommendations on this, perhaps Idk what i'm saying, its very likely, so please call me out on it :p 

As for the graphics card, the Gigabyte one I steered away from just based on previous recommendations on this website to go with either HIS and Sapphire in previous posts. The XFX one intrigues me however, as I know its a good name and a respected company, So perhaps if Push comes to shove, i'll get that instead, we'll see. Would love to hear more opinions on the XFX 5870 vs the Sapphire Vapor-X 5870. (Note: I'm not much of an overclocker, I really had no thought of doing much in that general area, so a pre-clocked card for me would prolly still be more then i'd ever need for the next year or two before I X-Fire them)

Finally, the PSU, I just went with the most trusted name I know, and Corsair is the one PSU i rarely ever hear a bad thing about. However, I will investigate the two options ya Selected, and would love to hear more from everyone. Modular really doesn't mean a whole ton to me, I dont plan on running 10 billion Hard Drives, Overclocking the 4.0 Ghz, etc... so removable plugs and etc might also just confuse the crap outta me lol being my building knowledge is rather limited.

m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2010 9:28:22 AM

Actually the 1st and the 3rd slots are the ones that you would need to run 2 cards in full x16x16 bandwidth on that Gigabyte board...Anyways even the ASRock boards are fine...

As for the graphics card, HIS and Sapphire are good, and I dont think you would have any issues going with Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS or XFX either...Actually these provide better warranty too...
The main reason why HIS, Sapphire and even Powercolor are famous for ATI cards is that they are the ones that have been the providing ATI cards for a very long time...
And as for overclocking, though it sound complicated, but is as simple as
1. Opening the CCC(Catalyst Control Center - That is the UI software for the ATI card) screen.
2. Select the Enable Overdrive check-mark
3. Just move the slider back and forth to increase or decrease the speed of the chip and the memory...
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5870...
http://www.overclockers.com/hd-5870-bios-flashing/

4. You should also include the Silverstone and the Antec TP in your list of trusted companies IMO...
m
l
March 24, 2010 9:35:23 AM

Ty Gkay, knew i was prolly missing something when it came to that motherboard, glad to know i was wrong. I may very well get that board instead then.

As for the Hard Drives u spoke of, was curious if you could provide a link or two on Newegg for those? I went searching but honestly found nothing on Samsung, and Seagate's reviews just seemed bad all around, perhaps just ppl didn't know what they were doing?

I may wait to hear a few more things, but based on what you've told me, I may very well make a few small changes :)  ty for the information.
m
l
March 24, 2010 11:10:09 AM

Thx for the links Gkay. Also, was curious, considering the processor and that I wont be overclocking it, will the stock heatsink and fan be okay for my purposes for the I7?
m
l
March 24, 2010 11:16:41 AM

^ If you will not be overclocking, then the stock fans would be fine...
But using an aftermarket CPU cooler will considerably lower the CPU temp even at stock speeds though...
m
l
March 24, 2010 11:23:25 AM

Any recommendations?? The V8 from Coolermaster just looks like supreme overkill for me lol, and it seems to be the only one i ever find ppl going "OMG USE THIS"... and quite frankly i dont want a V8 motor in my case lmao.
m
l
March 24, 2010 5:08:40 PM

One Final Question Gkay, as you have been extremely helpful to me and I thank you for that :) 

I stumbled across something I want you to look at. First off, I know the PSU in this combo deal is major overkill, but... considering the amount of money being discounted ($90 to my calculations), is this a no brainer?? I mean... hell... this PSU could power my house and for practically the same price as the ones we were looking at with this combo deal.

XFX ATI HD 5870 and Antec TPQ-1200W Combo

** Also, not that it means much, but a free Surge Protector is thrown in from Belkin in this deal, 19.99 value. Cant hurt i guess lol **

Combo Total: $609.98
Cart Total: $569.98 ($40 also taken off the PSU itself)

Original PSU and Graphics Card were Silverstone 850W 80 Plus Silver Modular and Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5870

Both Combined Total: $599.98
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:26:49 AM

Anyone perhaps?? just curious about the question in my final reply.
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:34:48 AM

Also, to add to my original post, will the antec 1200w psu fit in the case???
m
l
March 25, 2010 2:47:00 AM

^ Well no doubt that deal is good(but currently not available)...IMO its an total overkill, which you also seem to understand...
I would suggest you to decide on the combo deals at the time you buy...am sure there will be other good deals then...
and as for the PSU fitting in the case, it will...
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:14:41 PM

Gkay, again, I thank you so much for all your help. I just submitted the order for my PC. After going over combo deals, etc... I got everything I wanted and am extremely excited :)  Ty again man. I'll try and remember to send ya something once its built, only thank you i can think of.
m
l
March 26, 2010 2:48:01 AM

^ Well that is more than enough for me.. ;) 

And good luck with your build....
m
l
!