well i have held off as long as i could but my current pentium D 915 (2.8ghz) and motherboard( oem model : mrs600 ) is beginning to trouble me ..allthough as a whole its still capable of running the latest games ( along with my XFX GTS250 ) i want to upgrade to a more efficent cpu and a motherboard with support for pci-express v2.0
however i need the motherboard to have the following specs :
1) ddr2 667mhz/800mhz support
2) 4 x dimms (at least 8gb max support )
3) at least 4 x sata ports
4) r.a.i.d support
now i have been wondering wether to stick with intel and go with a 45nm Intel Pentium E5400 ... or move over to AMD and go with a AMD Athlon II X3 Tri Core 435
my budget is £150 ..... so heres a few combo,s i have found... whats your opinion on these and have you any alternative set-ups
1) cpu : AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 255 3.10GHz ( http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/CPUs+%2F+Proc... )
motherboard : Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 ( http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/... )
which of these two would require no bios updates... i am capable of running a bios update but would prefer not to if possible
another option would be to go with the "motherboard bundle" route .... for example i have found these bundles... are they worth considering ?
1) AMD Athlon 7550 Bundle Deal Including Athlon II X2 7550 2.5GHz Processor and Fan, and Asus M2N68-AM SE2 Motherboard ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/197006 ) ..... the only downside of this bundle is the 2 x dimms.... this limits you to just 4gb max....
2) Novatech Motherboard Bundle - AMD X2 245 - 2GB DDR2 800Mhz - Nvidia MCP61P Motherboard ( http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/MotherboardBun... ) .. again only 2 x dimm slots but with the inclusion of a 2gb module i can use one of my current 1gb modules = 3gb .. that should be ok for now ...
and finally :
Novatech Motherboard Bundle - Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 - 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz - Intel G41 Motherboard ( http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/MotherboardBun... ) ... another motherboard with just 2 x dimms however again it includes a 2gb module ... and the 4 x sata ports is excellent and i beleive this board also supports raid ..
basically im looking at a cpu and motherboard that will be a significant improvement over my current set-up ...
any help will be much appreciated
cheers guys !
if i was you i would save up and get a nice set up/make a new pc. the parts you have will be slow, if you want a gaing pc for that price.........get a ps3 if i was you i would get a ps3 or save. i am going to make a gaming pc but its going to cost me £600 with case psu and parts.
thanks for the speedy replys.... obviously i would go with something more powerful such as core i5 or six core phenom
what about the AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 3.10GHz Black Edition ( http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/CPUs+%2F+Proc... ) ... this is reasonably priced at £66 and combined with the Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 ( http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/... ) which can support up to 16gb of my ram...
future proofing isnt a problem since i will probally change the cpu and motherboard again in 12 months
just want something with better performance than the pentium D .. which cant be too hard.... thanks guys !