Sign in with
Your question

Pentium D and PT880 Pro-A7 combo motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
June 3, 2010 11:27:43 AM

Hi guys. Iplanned to upgrade my system processor from a Pentium 4 530 3.0 Ghz to a Pentium D 925 3.0 Ghz. Before i got the Pentium D processor I first referred it to the motherboard manufacturer and confirmed to me that it was supported. I installed the processor and reset my cmos. The system booted up but i always get a blue screen error. Then I reinstalled my old Pentium 4 530 processor and my system ran smoothly. Reported it to the motherboard maker ad said that my processor might be defective. so i get another processor with same pentium D specs and the same thing happened. can anyone shed light to me to get this pentium D processor working? Do I need a BIOS update for my motherboard and where can I download it. Thanks everybody
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 4:14:00 PM

Is the CPU detecting in the BIOS properly?
June 3, 2010 10:45:54 PM

Yes sir. but after "starting windows" display, i get a blue screen error. My operating system is windows xp pro sp3 32-bit.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 12:15:43 AM

I would look into the BSOD error codes, what files/codes are involved?
Could be a hardware abstract layer issue, I am only guessing. For example you cant install windows on a Intel computer and then change to an AMD processor, but I have never heard of this happening just upgrading from Intel to Intel.

After looking into the motherboard, it appears as though only the PT880 Pro-Combo has a BIOS upgrade to support Pentium D 925 CPU's.

It appears that you need to flash the BIOS. Although I am surprised that the CPU already detects properly, so I would check the current revision of the BIOS and then compare it to the available download.
June 7, 2010 12:29:53 PM

Any development sir? The manufacturer can't help me. They just say that the motherboard supports Pentium D 925 but never told me any solution.
June 7, 2010 1:52:26 PM

Why BSOD, going from Single core 530 to Dual core 925, Windows needs to write new info for these changes, task manager needs to add another core...etc, normally what we suggest to ensure it works correctly is to enter safe mode (F8 before windows startup logo), see if it BSOD when entering Safemode, if it does, Reinstall OS, if it doesn't, then you have some conflict when adding new CPU,(new instructions replacing old instructions, coding issues) but I do believe it works, just need to reinstall OS with new CPU install to ensure all coding is written correctly. I have seen this issue several times and it all had to do with windows itself. In all cases after OS was reinstall it worked flawlessly. Also what may be helpful is writing down the error it gives you and google it, sometimes a fix can resolve the error without reinstalling everything.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 2:24:32 PM

milkman14 said:
Any development sir? The manufacturer can't help me. They just say that the motherboard supports Pentium D 925 but never told me any solution.

While you done the right thing and called them up first before switching cpu's, It seams either:

A. they haven't updated there cpu support list.

B. biostar is looking up the wrong mb when you're calling them, thus giving wrong info.

C. im just looking at the wrong MB.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/cpu_support.php?S_I...

Although that seams to be the correct Motherboard you listed, so it's either A or B, but according to this, pentium D 925 is not supported.

Although try an OS reinstall, if that doesn't though, then i have to say it's an bios incompatibility.

Although i would think there not much of a difference (if there is any difference) between the 930 and 925 to cause problems with the bios.
a c 133 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 8:38:37 PM

Well the 925 is not on the support list for that board as far as I can tell. Looks like the only supported Pentium D's are the 820, 830, 840, and the 930. The 925 I believe is actually newer then the 930 and came with D0 stepping which is probably the reason you are having issues.
June 7, 2010 11:17:23 PM

Then I guess I have to blame the mobo manufacturer for giving me the wrong info.
June 10, 2010 9:20:21 AM

Thanks to all of you who helped me. I have updated my BIOS to version 1.9.2.6. but same results. I guess it is an issue of incompatibility. I checked my Pentium D 925 and its version is SL9KA version. I gave up on it then used a Pentium D 820 and it works. I think I was misinformed by the manufacturer. Anyway thanks again to all of you.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2010 1:18:56 PM

milkman14 said:
Thanks to all of you who helped me. I have updated my BIOS to version 1.9.2.6. but same results. I guess it is an issue of incompatibility. I checked my Pentium D 925 and its version is SL9KA version. I gave up on it then used a Pentium D 820 and it works. I think I was misinformed by the manufacturer. Anyway thanks again to all of you.

Glad we could help.
!