My Computer shows the hard drive in C with a partition in E, CDRW in F drive.
Is the CDRW supposed in D? There is nothing in D.

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:29:01 -0800, kenlo wrote:

> My Computer shows the hard drive in C with a partition in E, CDRW in F drive.
> Is the CDRW supposed in D? There is nothing in D.

If this system had XP preinstalled, it's possible that there is a hidden
"D:" partition that was created by the OEM that is using that letter. Even
with no hidden partition, the assignment of the letter F: to the cdrom
drive should cause no problems. I routinely bump the letter for my CD and
DVD drives down the alphabet - leaving a gap between them and the letters
for the hard drive partitions.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks.
Is there anyway to assign the CD rom to D:? Has it anything to do with the
IDE cable or in BIOS?

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:23:04 -0800, kenlo wrote:

> Thanks.
> Is there anyway to assign the CD rom to D:? Has it anything to do with the
> IDE cable or in BIOS?

As long as there isn't a hidden partition named D: (present on some OEM
systems), you could use Disk Management in Administrative Tools to reassign
drive letters to your liking.

Once you have Disk Management on the screen, right click the representation
for the CDrom drive and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths." Use the
controls on the next window that appears to change the drive letter.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User