A SELF-SERVING RESPONSE

KODAK sells a DC adaptor for their cameras.

Figuring I could do as well with a RadioShack product,
I wrote to KODAK asking for the DC requirements
of the camera. Here's their response;

>We only recommend usage of KODAK AC Adapter for KODAK Digital Cameras.
>Please note that using non-recommended power adapters could result in
>fire, electrical shock, or damage to your camera that would void the
>warranty. KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the
>specific voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras.

I guess the volt/milliamp requirements will remain a secret. ;o)

<rj>
16 answers Last reply
More about self serving response

    "<RJ>" <baranick@localnet.com> wrote in message

    > KODAK sells a DC adaptor for their cameras.
    >
    > Figuring I could do as well with a RadioShack product,
    > I wrote to KODAK asking for the DC requirements
    > of the camera. Here's their response;
    >

    >>We only recommend usage of KODAK AC Adapter for KODAK Digital Cameras.
    >>Please note that using non-recommended power adapters could result in
    >>fire, electrical shock, or damage to your camera that would void the
    >>warranty. KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the
    >>specific voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras.
    >>

    > I guess the volt/milliamp requirements will remain a secret. ;o)

    That is because of safety regulations and over-cautious lawyers.

    "KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the specific voltage and
    current required by specific KODAK Cameras."

    That portion of their reply is absolute horse puckey!

    <RJ> wrote:
    > KODAK sells a DC adaptor for their cameras.
    >
    > Figuring I could do as well with a RadioShack product,
    > I wrote to KODAK asking for the DC requirements
    > of the camera. Here's their response;
    >

    >>We only recommend usage of KODAK AC Adapter for KODAK Digital Cameras.
    >>Please note that using non-recommended power adapters could result in
    >>fire, electrical shock, or damage to your camera that would void the
    >>warranty. KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the
    >>specific voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras.
    >>

    > I guess the volt/milliamp requirements will remain a secret. ;o)
    >

    > <rj>
    Maybe it's just the way of the world an avoiding lawsuits?

    burgerbar - hot coffee spillage - a million bucks

    are some phrases that spring to mind

    Aerticeus

    Self-serving -- like in avoiding lawsuits.

    Alas -- that is the world we live in now.

    Phil

    <RJ> wrote:
    > KODAK sells a DC adaptor for their cameras.
    >
    > Figuring I could do as well with a RadioShack product,
    > I wrote to KODAK asking for the DC requirements
    > of the camera. Here's their response;

    On many of the Nikon Coolpix cameras I've owned the DC requirement is
    printed on a label on the camera, and possibly given in the manual.

    Consider:

    - voltage
    - current (including peak capability)
    - ripple voltage
    - over-current protection

    etc.

    Of course, if you want to /risk/ using a 3rd party product of unknown
    specifications an compatibility - that's up to you. A precision,
    current-limited power supply is one thing. A cheap "6V" wall-wart is
    another.

    David

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    > "KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the specific
    > voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras."
    >
    > That portion of their reply is absolute horse puckey!

    It depends.

    If they are just using a two-wire cable delivering DC then you are right.

    But suppose that have some three-wire connector with feedback from inside
    the camera? /If/ that were the case, a random wall-wart power supply
    would /not/ be compatible.

    Most likely you are right, though!

    Cheers,
    David

    "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Charles Schuler wrote:
    >> "KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the specific
    >> voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras."
    >>
    >> That portion of their reply is absolute horse puckey!

    Actually, I seem to recall some legal wrangling back in the 1980s.

    For years, Kodak only recommended Kodak developer, stop bath, fixer, etc.,
    for processing Kodak films.

    For some reason (lawsuit?) they then started inserting a statement in every
    instruction sheet to the effect that "comparable products from other
    manufacturers can yield comparable results" or words to that effect. I.e.,
    you aren't actually required to use Kodak stop bath with your Kodak film.

    I don't know the history of this.

    It further reminds me of the very early days of phonograph records (the
    1920s or so), when they actually exhorted you to use a needle of the same
    brand as the record. In a few cases there were compatibility issues
    (different needle sizes) but mostly it was just a misleading statement to
    boost sales.

    "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Charles Schuler wrote:
    >> "KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the specific
    >> voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras."
    >>
    >> That portion of their reply is absolute horse puckey!
    >
    > It depends.
    >
    > If they are just using a two-wire cable delivering DC then you are right.
    >
    > But suppose that have some three-wire connector with feedback from inside
    > the camera? /If/ that were the case, a random wall-wart power supply
    > would /not/ be compatible.

    Good point! Is it engineering or marketing?

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    > "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Charles Schuler wrote:
    >>
    >>>"KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the specific
    >>>voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras."
    >>>
    >>>That portion of their reply is absolute horse puckey!
    >>
    >>It depends.
    >>
    >>If they are just using a two-wire cable delivering DC then you are right.
    >>
    >>But suppose that have some three-wire connector with feedback from inside
    >>the camera? /If/ that were the case, a random wall-wart power supply
    >>would /not/ be compatible.
    >

    > Good point! Is it engineering or marketing?

    Hi...

    Anything inside the wallwart that used feedback from the
    camera would change its designation from an ac adaptor to
    a power supply.

    This in turn would negate the advantage (to Kodak) of
    using one - the lower cost of having it approved by
    CSA (your country SA) [the whole camera would require
    electrical approval]

    Take care.

    Ken

    > Anything inside the wallwart that used feedback from the
    > camera would change its designation from an ac adaptor to
    > a power supply.
    >
    > This in turn would negate the advantage (to Kodak) of
    > using one - the lower cost of having it approved by
    > CSA (your country SA) [the whole camera would require
    > electrical approval]

    So, Ken, I can assume it is indeed Kodak horsepucky?

    "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<j5idnbrvSdWicC3cRVn-vA@comcast.com>...
    > > Anything inside the wallwart that used feedback from the
    > > camera would change its designation from an ac adaptor to
    > > a power supply.
    > >
    > > This in turn would negate the advantage (to Kodak) of
    > > using one - the lower cost of having it approved by
    > > CSA (your country SA) [the whole camera would require
    > > electrical approval]
    >
    > So, Ken, I can assume it is indeed Kodak horsepucky?

    It may not be horsepucky on the part of Kodak but rather horsepucky
    (laziness) on the part of the help desk/tech support person.

    "Aerticeus" <spoofed@spooked.com> wrote:
    > <RJ> wrote:
    >> KODAK sells a DC adaptor for their cameras.
    >>
    >> Figuring I could do as well with a RadioShack product,
    >> I wrote to KODAK asking for the DC requirements of the camera. Here's
    >> their response;
    >>
    >>>We only recommend usage of KODAK AC Adapter for KODAK Digital Cameras.
    >>>Please note that using non-recommended power adapters could result in
    >>>fire, electrical shock, or damage to your camera that would void the
    >>>warranty. KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the specific
    >>>voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras.
    >>
    >> I guess the volt/milliamp requirements will remain a secret. ;o)
    >>
    > Maybe it's just the way of the world an avoiding lawsuits?
    >
    > burgerbar - hot coffee spillage - a million bucks
    >
    > are some phrases that spring to mind

    Yes, you should use only genuine Kodak accessories to avoid...uh...never
    mind.
    http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/accessories/ac/

    Kodak is conducting a voluntary recall on the optional AC adapters
    manufactured by ELPAC Electronics, Inc., that were supplied as a digital
    camera accessory to KODAK DC25, DC40, DC50 and DC120 Digital Cameras. If
    these ELPAC AC adapters are not fully plugged into the digital camera, it
    may cause the batteries to overheat, leak acid and possibly explode. This
    condition could result in thermal burns, chemical burns, or lacerations.

    If it's this one though
    (http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Kodak_5_volt_AC_Adapter/4507-3509_16-30221283.html?tag=tab),
    it's one of the increasingly popular 5-volt types. I've swapped between
    devices on these (Archos MP3 player, Fujifilm camera, iPaq Pocket PC),
    although they DO have different tip sizes sometimes.

    Ron Baird wrote:
    [....]

    > Have a good holiday, everyone, talk to you soon.
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company

    For you too Ron, your family, and everyone else on your end, best wishes
    for a safe holiday.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    >> Have a good holiday, everyone, talk to you soon.
    >
    >For you too Ron, your family, and everyone else on your end, best wishes
    >for a safe holiday.

    Screw that!

    I want to get all liquored up, beat the girlfriend, kick my neighbour's
    dog, puke on the christmas decorations, and then pass out under the
    tree!!

    ....umm...wait...is this not the anger management group?

    :)

    Happy Holidays Everyone!!

    Bill wrote:

    >>>Have a good holiday, everyone, talk to you soon.
    >>
    >>For you too Ron, your family, and everyone else on your end, best wishes
    >>for a safe holiday.
    >

    > Screw that!
    >
    > I want to get all liquored up, beat the girlfriend, kick my neighbour's
    > dog, puke on the christmas decorations, and then pass out under the
    > tree!!
    >

    > ...umm...wait...is this not the anger management group?

    ....umm... could be... last year we had a fella that wanted to get his
    neighbour all liquored up, puke on his dog, kick a tree, beat the
    christmas decorations, and pass out under his girlfriend - but he
    flunked cuz he couldn't plan his way past the first step. :))

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:45:52 -0500, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:

    >>> Have a good holiday, everyone, talk to you soon.
    >>
    >>For you too Ron, your family, and everyone else on your end, best wishes
    >>for a safe holiday.
    >
    >Screw that!
    >
    >I want to get all liquored up, beat the girlfriend, kick my neighbour's
    >dog, puke on the christmas decorations, and then pass out under the
    >tree!!

    Interesting.
    Most want to get all likkered up, screw the dog, puke on the
    girlfriend, burn the tree, and pass out wherever is most convenient.
    (Usually on the neighbor's yard.)
    I guess it depends on what you use for the first step. :-)

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

Cameras Kodak