Would Old p4 Zalman be i7-3770k Suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill77

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
Regarding the Zalman CNPS7000b cooler:

I know this was once a top dog cooler in it's day (2004) and could deal with the hot running Prescott P4 chips, but how would it hold up on a modern warm running processor such as the i7-3770k?

Would it possibly be better or worse than the current stock cooler, regardless of mild overclocking or none at all?

I have the 775 mounting kit for this and the Asrock board I have supposedly can support 775 mounting brackets. I really liked the cool quietness of the Zalman, though it's heaviness made me a bit uneasy (in comparison to modern coolers, I don't know).

Before I go and start researching new heatsinks, does anyone think this old Zalman would be a terrible idea?

Here's the manual at the top of search results:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/aes9vmp

Solution
Weight depends on which version you're talking about - the aluminum & copper version is lighter than a Hyper 212 EVO, but the all-copper one is heavier. Both are lighter than a Noctua NH-D14 though. The CNPS7000B can handle cpus up to 84W tdp, and desktop Ivy Bridge cpus only go up to 77W tdp at stock speeds. Overall socket size is the same for LGA 775 and LGA 1155 (1.47x1.47 in or 37.5x37.5 mm), so the main problem is the mounting holes. There are apparently some Ivy Bridge-compatible motherboards, such as the ASRock Z77 Extreme4, that include alternate mounting holes for LGA 775 coolers, but some modifications to the bracket may still be required - I found http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/926-modding-775-cooler-to-1155-socket that...
Weight depends on which version you're talking about - the aluminum & copper version is lighter than a Hyper 212 EVO, but the all-copper one is heavier. Both are lighter than a Noctua NH-D14 though. The CNPS7000B can handle cpus up to 84W tdp, and desktop Ivy Bridge cpus only go up to 77W tdp at stock speeds. Overall socket size is the same for LGA 775 and LGA 1155 (1.47x1.47 in or 37.5x37.5 mm), so the main problem is the mounting holes. There are apparently some Ivy Bridge-compatible motherboards, such as the ASRock Z77 Extreme4, that include alternate mounting holes for LGA 775 coolers, but some modifications to the bracket may still be required - I found http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/926-modding-775-cooler-to-1155-socket that shows how to do this for a cnps 9700, so it might be possible to do something similar for a cnps7000b.

Solution

bill77

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
Thank you everyone for the helpful replies.

If you were in this boat, would you use one over getting a new Evo or Noctura?

Now I know it can handle it, but I'd still prefer the best possible cooling/quiet combo as this room heats up pretty quickly.

I'll take a look at the numbers for all 3 one more time. Thanks again.

bill77

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
Thanks for telling me about your experience with your old Zalman and the differences since you upgraded. Your post helped me decide to go ahead and order the 212 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.