What Motherboards replace Gigabyte P35S3G?

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I need to replace a Gigabyte P35S3G Motherboard, after only three years of use. Its failure puzzles me, as I have two Gigabyte 6VSDG7 Dual CPU motherboards that still work 10 years after I bought them. Gigabyte claims they no longer sell motherboards, so I need another brand. Please e-mail recommendations to i-write@i-write-for-all.net or iwrite@ez2.net, bearing in mind a 100% Disabled Marine Corps Veteran (Vietnam Era) is on limited Social Security Disability (SSD) income.

Who told you that? They do not sell that model now, but they are very much still in the retail motherboard business.

What will work? Any P35/P45 motherboard with a PCIeX16 video slot (that's nearly all of them) as long as you do not need 5 PCI slots.

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I phoned Gigabyte. They said they no longer sell boards. Perhaps their sales people want to sell complete systems, not merely separate parts.

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
My CPU is an LGA 775 Intel Core 2 Quad on Gigabyte P3 M/B (as noted in reply to jsc). My Video Card is a BFG/NVidia GeForce 7300 GS. The system quit activating my Viewsonic VX 2255WMB-4 Monitor. New MSI R5450 Video Card doesn't display, either. This is my Windows XP Desktop. Monitor works fine with my Linux Centos 5.5 OS Desktop. On-line research indicates I must replace Windows Desktop M/B or CPU. I will need more than 2 Peripheral Card Slots, which is why I picked a M/B that has 5 in the first place. I hope you can help.

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
The issues in your "Troubleshooting Guide" seem to refer to errors made when building a new tower/system. My Windows XP system quit after three years of functional use. Power Supply works. As noted above, Video Screen works with my Linux system. I have/had Dual Cable Hook-up to my Video Flatscreen, of Win-Doze and Linux Workstation systems. Since Video Screen works, I think the problem is a M/B even its maker (Gigabyte) quit selling. My issue now is to find an up-to-$100.00 M/B that has at least four Peripheral Slots, since I have that many cards (Internet Cable/Wireless, T.V/Video/Sound Recording, Web-Hosting capability) on one Win-Doze and two Linux towers. As noted in prior responses, I'm 100% Physically Disabled by "mild" Heart Attacks and Cerebral Strokes. No Firm that must carry Liability Insurance will hire me. I'm still functional, and need to market my skills, to exceed current $829.00 per month SSD income. Your suggestions will be welcome.

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Sorry if I confused you. I have three Desktop computers; one my Linux Workstation, one my Linux Server, the third being my Win-doze Tower. My Linux Workstation and Win-doze tower are connected by dual hook-up cable to my Viewsonic Flatscreen Monitor. My Linux Server uses an older ViewSonic 15ES "TV Screen" Monitor which continues to work fine. When my Windows tower stopped activating/displaying, I tested the dual hook-up cables by swapping Windows cable to Linux Workstation. The "Windows" cable worked on the Linux box, so both cables are fine. The Windows tower BFG/NVidia Video Card didn't/doesn't activate the flatscreen monitor. Nor does my new MSI R5450 video card. That leaves either the mobo and/or one or both memory chip(s). Since Gigabyte discontinued the P35 mobo, I think that's the culprit. To re-install video card/mobo drivers, or Windows, would require system boot, which isn't happening. With no boot, I can't save files to disc. If the system booted, I think I could correct any programming "oopses."

Thanks for your rapid responses. I'll let you know how my mobo replacement effort progresses. Meantime, Best Wishes for the Holi-daze.

Mike

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Reply to Tom's Hardware:

You ask if my query has been answered. It has not. I bought a new IntelD915GAV Motherboard, but the two Kingston KVR Ram Chips that fit my P35 Mobo Ram slots don't fit the new board Ram slots. Being on limited income, I can't afford to buy a new system. So what RAM chips will fit the new mobo?

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Hope you had pleasent Holidays. I bought a new Mobo, but the RAM and CPU Cooling Fan won't fit. The RAM slots of my new Intel D915PGN mobo are blue and black, where the RAM slots of my old mobo are yellow and red. What differences do the colors signify? Must I buy different RAM and Cooling Fan?

Mike

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

I paid only $25 for the mobo. I'm sure the private party seller was dumping "outdated" hardware. I think it will update my Linux Workstation from current 800MB CPU/1 MB RAM. On-line survey shows inexpensive 1-GB RAM Chips available for this Mobo's 4 RAM slots. I'm also shopping for the most affordable CPU. I plan similar up-date for my Linux Server. I'm broke for the rest of this month. Car Smog Re-test after repair to make it pass made me cash-poor until Feb. 3, but I plan to shop. When the Feb. SSD hits my account, your advice among other on-line homework will give me the shopping list I need. Power to the Plebian!

"I Write"

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

Price Grabber/Next Warehouse says they have 5-slot Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G Mobos at $83.65, plus tax. The photo shows a board similar to mine, with 5 Peripheral slots. Will this meet my need? Have you seen this board at a lower price?

iwrite

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

My need for at least 4 PCI slots per Desktop Computer is justified. As you know, the more functions a single computer provides, the less desktop room/floor space other devices occupy. This 100% Disabled Veteran lives in a 10' x 10' bedroom I rent in my landlady's 4-bedroom house. To minimize the amount of space my possessions and activities use, I centralize as many functions as I can. For example, I write scripts, process e-mail, record music, watch movies/T.V., etc., seated at my small Computer Desk.

The specifics you asked are: single PCIe x16 Video Card slot (blue. I note this since color-coding seems to denote varied card values); 5 white Peripheral slots holding T.V., Internet (Cable and Wireless), Phone, and 4-slot USB card. That's 5 cards (a poker hand - for 3 years a winning hand). As I become more proficient in CentOS, I'll get the equivalent cards for my Linux Work Station. I have all the Cable Internet cards I need for my CentOS Server tower. One reason I want to go Linux is all the people who say it's less System-intensive; i.e., faster than Win-Doze and draws fewer resourses (and how many folks have you heard gripe that the "new" Win-Doze Vista still has too many glitches).

The multitude of professional "time-takers" shown on my i-write-for-all.net website - not to mention my distraction by 3 Heart Attacks and 4 Cerebral Strokes - show why I didn't become more Linux-proficient before now. ;>) I look forward to your shopping-list suggestions.

"I Write"
Mike

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

I found a supply of GA-P43-ES3G. Uses DDR2 SD RAM., has 5 PCIe x4 slots. This board seems to fit my need. Comments? Do you confirm or deny?

iwrite

iwrite

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

As Gen. Patton might have said, Tanks alot.

iwrite