Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard/PSU/Graphics Card Compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2010 12:07:53 AM

First of all, I apologise if this is in the wrong section. It's the first time I've posted on this forum.

I recently fried my graphics card, and shortly after, blew my power supply (yay for luck!), so decided that it's time for an upgrade.

Just a quick question as to whether or not the two new parts I want will be compatible with my motherboard.

Motherboard: nForce 790i ULTRA 775
GPU: eVGA GTX260+
PSU: Corsair HX-650 ATX

Sorry if I'm being a little vague, if there's anything else you need to know then feel free to ask.

Thanks.

~Tom :hello: 
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2010 12:28:37 AM

Yes, the GPU, Motherboard, and PSU will work fine together.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2010 12:58:38 AM

Quite so- all will work fine together and all are good solid parts. Just out of curiosity though- are those your only choices, or are you willing to consider others? I only ask because I would imagine you would be able to get a good quality build for (most likely) a similar price that would be a little more forward-looking, such as a different socket that might be more upgradeable in the future, and probably a better graphics card for less money.
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2010 1:27:58 AM

My thoughts exactly. 775 socket. DUDE that so obsolete. Have you not heard of COREi5 COREi7? What Processor will you use?
m
l
March 9, 2010 3:10:57 AM

Thanks for the answer, that's all I needed to know.

I actually built this PC in early 09, but blew the 9800GT I had recently so I'm just upgrading to a better card and getting a new PSU. I know about the socket being obsolete and whatnot, just wanted to make sure that this would work. :p 

Thanks anyway though, I do appreciate it.

~Tom ;) 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2010 1:52:12 PM

Ok- cool man. Thats why I asked if you were locked into those parts rather than just telling you to get something else. I gotta say though, if you are upgrading to a better GPU, I would still suggest an ATI Radeon HD 5770 though since its very similar performance to the gtx260, and will be cheaper and use less power (as well as having DX11)
m
l
March 9, 2010 9:54:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into the 5770. I plan on possibly getting another GTX260 in the future for SLI though, so it depends, really.

~Tom :) 
m
l
!