ATI Warranty Question (Asus EAH3780)

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hello, about 8 months ago i had opened my Asus EAH3870 gpu, I didn't see on the site about opening the gpu and voiding the warranty....what i did was unscrew the heat sink block from the gpu and the memory on the card had a separate heat sink...i didn't see and other stickers about voiding the warranty other than the one on the back of the card...i reapplied thermal paste and put it back together and now 8 months later it died on me...i called Asus and got an RMA number packed it up and gonna send it off tomorrow :) .....oh and here is what they sent me in E-mail

- VGA Cards must be returned with the original ASUS heat sink otherwise will be considered physical damage

- Physical damage is not covered under your ASUS manufacturers warranty and automatically VOIDS your warranty. ASUS reserves the right to reject any product received with physical damage.

- Damage can include any shape or form of corner / edge damage / markings with pens and/or markers

- Broken traces or burns due to improper installation / removal of other components

- Broken CPU socket or bent pins

So my guess is that i should be ok???...i have checked and i see no damage at all.

Thank you!!!

Solution
You might wan't to double check before violating ASUS RMA rules, I'm not sure this is covered since you removed the heatsink. XFX let's you do this and still be under warrenty.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
You might wan't to double check before violating ASUS RMA rules, I'm not sure this is covered since you removed the heatsink. XFX let's you do this and still be under warrenty.

Solution

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Well check this link out............''http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/asus_eah3870_top_512mb/3''...i don't see anything about warranty and or stickers.....only on the back of the card, the gpu pictures when you scroll down is the same model i have but i only took off the gpu heat sink to reapply paste that's it i never removed the memory heat sinks.

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Ok i can confirm that Asus has no problem with us removing the heat sink(Talked to Technical support), if there is no special screw or any warranty sticker over the screw and or over the heat sink your fine but if the card is being sent in for a repair/replacement then you need to make sure you properly apply the original heat sink that came with the card........Asus support said they would understand why it wouldn't be a problem anyway cause its showing that your try to keep the card cool as possible to ensure longer life.

If you want to double check for yourself here is the Number i called - 1-812-282-2787

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Nice, still I don't mess with graphics cards because I don't have experience to replace those custom heatsinks nor the cash to replace cards if I do something wrong. As for the heatsink I kind of expected it not to void anything because most companies explicitly say it or put a sticker on the thing. Though I don't think a sticker would last on a heatwink.:D

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
ahhh well same here...well 2 years ago:p i just went and bought a visa re-loadable card..and yes you need to be 18 and use your ssn but just ask your parents like i did...it would be in their name but you have the info and a personal logging so only you can use it.