I have vista 32 bit 2 00 BG RAM What is the max number I can set my Virtual memo

hellermen

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Hello,
I have vista 32 bit 2.00 BG RAM What is the max number I can set my Virtual memory ? Please just give me a nuber and not allot of computer jargon.

Microsoft recommends a max of about 1.5x your system memory, in this case about 3000MB, however you can technically set it as large as the free space on your hard drive.

Understand though that you dont want it storing too much on virtual memory so set it to be fairly small(512MBish), this forces it to keep more stuff on the RAM which is far faster than the page files stored on your HDD.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

If you don't want a lot of "jargon" then maybe you shouldn't be messing about with your virtual memory - leave it alone it will work fine for you.

If you came here to learn something then "jargon" is what you need to educate you.

FFS some people...

Simple: Leave it alone and simply let Windows manage it. This is the default behavior.

Technically speaking, the "Virtual Memory" setting is actually the size of the page file on the harddrive, not the actual size of the virtual memory (which for Win32 [and almost all 32-bit OS'], is set at 4GB; 2GB for kernal level data, and 2GB for the process itself]. All the setting really adjusted is the size of the Hard Drive dedicated to paging.

As the page file fills (and becomes fragmented), performance suffers (Even the most optmized Best Filt algorithm eventually starts to suffer when limited space is avaliable), so 1.5x system memory is usually a good setting. 2x also makes sense. Really, as long as you have the HD space, its not that big a deal.

I believe Windows defaults the size at 1.5x System RAM, and grows the size of the page file automatically anyway, so unless you are running something REALLY memory hungry, you're probably best off leaving teh setting on automatic.

Some quick reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swap_file
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory