HELP? System died overnight....

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2010 12:42:20 PM

i am running:

i7 930

corsair 850 HX

ocz ram

spinpoint F3s etc

i wake up and my computer is off, i press the power button and the fan tries to spin and then nothing happens....this is the power supply right? shouldnt the fans spin (the case fans) or something? what else could it be? please help as i only have a week left to RMA to newegg, thanks!

More about : system died overnight

March 24, 2010 12:48:04 PM

So the fans are working, but it's not booting correct?
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2010 12:50:54 PM

We need more than that. Start by listing off all of the parts including model numbers. We especially need the motheboard and the RAM.

Try EVERYTHING in the "READ before posting about boot problems" sticky (link in my signature). When I say "try everything", I mean actually PERFORM ALL of the steps, don't just read them. Once you've done EVERY step, come back with any changes.

As for as other information, we need to know a lot more about the problem and anything you might have tried so far or what might have changed. Did you move the tower? Was there a power outage? Were you using a surge protector? Did you add any hardware? Did you change any settings? Does the motherboard display any lights or beep codes? Do the fans spin up and then turn off on their own, or do they spin up and stay on?

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can try after you do everything in that list UNLESS you have another build you can swap parts with.
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2010 1:21:55 PM

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM

CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80601930 - Retail

OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1600R2LV6GK - Retail

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card - Retail

Did you move the tower? Nope

Was there a power outage? Not that i know of, nope

Were you using a surge protector? yes absolutely, no bad weather

Did you add any hardware? nope, but build is 2 weeks old

Did you change any settings? no, i was sleeping

Does the motherboard display any lights or beep codes? yes, power and reset lights are on, no beeping

Do the fans spin up and then turn off on their own, or do they spin up and stay on? No, i think they look like they try to spin up but can't
m
l
March 24, 2010 1:22:43 PM

sorry im kind of a noob, so ill try to answer the question as best as i can, but no none of my fans are working......i feel like the case fans would be working if the psu was working?
m
l
March 24, 2010 1:27:12 PM

Does the PSU fan spin when you turn it on? If not, it's very likely the PSU isn't working. I would still run through that troubleshooting checklist to make sure something wasn't missed before you RMA things...
m
l
March 24, 2010 1:32:34 PM

when you say try to spin do they actually move at all, you could check the cables in your build and see came loose somehow,
m
l
March 24, 2010 1:48:50 PM

i will check all cables before i go home, but no the PSU fan does not spin, the fans in the case try to spin very briefly then stop......then everything is completely dead
m
l
March 24, 2010 1:51:15 PM

Sounds like the PSU is dead to me. It's fan should spin on start up, regardless if anything else works or not...
m
l
March 24, 2010 2:30:47 PM

what would you guys recommend as a replacement? newegg is out of the 850HXs right now.....should i just buy it from somewhere else?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2010 2:55:55 PM

the only thing that can even match an hx850 is an antec sg850 and just behind that is the XFX Black Edition but if you have a big antec case the cp 850 is an option

or contact corsair directly
m
l
!