PCIE x16 and a PCIE 2.0 Graphics card

jim2244

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
hey guys, i was looking to get a good barebone kit which i found to be
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6934893&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-Deals
i dont buy barebone kits often at all, but it seemed to look like a good buy, but it came without a video card, so i was looking for one but a majority of them i find are PCIE 2.0 x16 instead of regular PCIE x16... i read that they can be backwards compatible but i just wanted to have someone that knows what they are talking about to give me any heads up that i should know before i go and spend 100-200 on a nice video card, or i should just buy some $50 card, i dont have a big budget but since im 18 and in college i dont wish to spend a lot on just a video card when the mobo was pretty cheap itself
Sorry, im more into software not hardware so when i tried to understand a lot of this, mobo/video cards got confusing when i try to read the specs about it, hope everyone had a good holiday

Solution

Not many cards are bottlenecked on x16 PCIe 1.0. An HD5850 or GTX470 (and above) may be bottlenecked, but no card for $100 should be
a pcie2 card will run fine in that board, just at the speeds of pcie, I robbed this from Wiki, even pcie3 will be backwards with all revisions
PCIe is a technology under constant development and improvement. The current PCI Express implementation is version 3.0.

[edit] PCI Express 1.0a
In 2003, PCI-SIG introduced PCIe 1.0a, with a data rate of 250 MB/s and a transfer rate of 2.5 GT/s.

[edit] PCI Express 2.0
PCI-SIG announced the availability of the PCI Express Base 2.0 specification on 15 January 2007.[10] The PCIe 2.0 standard doubles the per-lane throughput from the PCIe 1.0 standard's 250 MB/s to 500 MB/s. This means a 32-lane PCI connector (x32) can support throughput up to 16 GB/s aggregate. The PCIe 2.0 standard uses a base clock speed of 5.0 GHz, while the first version operates at 2.5 GHz.

PCIe 2.0 motherboard slots are fully backward compatible with PCIe v1.x cards. PCIe 2.0 cards are also generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x motherboards, using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1. Overall, graphic cards or motherboards designed for v 2.0 will be able to work with the other being v 1.1 or v 1.0.

The PCI-SIG also said that PCIe 2.0 features improvements to the point-to-point data transfer protocol and its software architecture.[11]

In June 2007 Intel released the specification of the Intel P35 chipset which supports only PCIe 1.1, not PCIe 2.0.[12] Some people may be confused by the P35 block diagram which states the Intel P35 has a PCIe x16 graphics link (8 GB/s) and 6 PCIe x1 links (500 MB/s each).[13] For simple verification one can view the P965 block diagram which shows the same number of lanes and bandwidth but was released before PCIe 2.0 was finalized.[original research?] Intel's first PCIe 2.0 capable chipset was the X38 and boards began to ship from various vendors (Abit, Asus, Gigabyte) as of October 21, 2007.[14] AMD started supporting PCIe 2.0 with its AMD 700 chipset series and nVidia started with the MCP72.[15] The specification of the Intel P45 chipset includes PCIe 2.0.

[edit] PCI Express 2.1
PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned to be fully implemented in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0. Most motherboards sold currently come with PCI Express 2.0 connectors.

[edit] PCI Express 3.0
PCI Express 3.0 Base specification revision 3.0 was made available in November 2010, after multiple delays. In August 2007, PCI-SIG announced that PCI Express 3.0 would carry a bit rate of 8 gigatransfers per second, and that it would be backwards compatible with existing PCIe implementions. At that time, it was also announced that the final specification for PCI Express 3.0 would be delayed until 2011,[16] although more recent sources (see below) stated that it may be available towards the end of 2010. New features for the PCIe 3.0 specification include a number of optimizations for enhanced signaling and data integrity, including transmitter and receiver equalization, PLL improvements, clock data recovery, and channel enhancements for currently supported topologies.[17]

I dont get holidays in uk, but thanks for the sentiment hope yours was good :)
Moto

jim2244

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
thanks a lot, im sorry its just late and i didnt even think of using wiki for that, would u think itll just be better to buy a mobo with PCIE 2.0 or most $100 video cards stay around the speed of a PCIE 1.0 ?

ijb

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

Not many cards are bottlenecked on x16 PCIe 1.0. An HD5850 or GTX470 (and above) may be bottlenecked, but no card for $100 should be

Solution

TRENDING THREADS