workgroup name returns to default

Client's new XP home machine's workgroup name refuses to hold on his new
setting; oddly it will stay for a re-boot or two, and then returns to
"mshome"

Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same name
of his computer?

--
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

"Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> Client's new XP home machine's workgroup name refuses to hold on his new
> setting; oddly it will stay for a re-boot or two, and then returns to
> "mshome"

Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...

--
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch

"Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
name
> of his computer?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Mitch Tulloch
> ==========================
> Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> http://www.mtit.com
>
> This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
>

> "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> > Client's new XP home machine's workgroup name refuses to hold on his new
> > setting; oddly it will stay for a re-boot or two, and then returns to
> > "mshome"

Mitch:

Interesting; do I understand you ?
He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a cable
modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
this case ?
I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
need to be commonality on this level at all ?
Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
set it ?

> Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
> Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Mitch Tulloch
> ==========================
> Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> http://www.mtit.com
>
> This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
>

> "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
> name
> > of his computer?
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Mitch Tulloch
> > ==========================
> > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > http://www.mtit.com
> >
> > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> > > Client's new XP home machine's workgroup name refuses to hold on his
new
> > > setting; oddly it will stay for a re-boot or two, and then returns to
> > > "mshome"

No, I was just thinking out loud. I thought if he tried naming his workgroup
the same as the name of a computer in a different workgroup on the same LAN
that a conflict might arise. I was wrong though--just tried it and it works,
and of course the NetBIOS names for computers and workgroups contain a
hidden 16 character anyways that distinguishes between them...

Anyway, I'll keep thinking about this and see if I can come up with
something...

--
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch

> Mitch:
>
> Interesting; do I understand you ?
> He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
cable
> modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
> being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
> this case ?
> I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
> need to be commonality on this level at all ?
> Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
> his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
> set it ?
>

> "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
> > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Mitch Tulloch
> > ==========================
> > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > http://www.mtit.com
> >
> > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
> > name
> > > of his computer?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mitch Tulloch
> > > ==========================
> > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > > http://www.mtit.com
> > >
> > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
rights.

> > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> new

I've been racking my brains on this as its an interesting problem. I guess
you've tried running antivirus/antispyware programs on the affected machine?

Other ideas...maybe check the Startup folder, Run registry keys etc to see
if any unusual program or script runs when you boot your machine...try
disabling System Restore (maybe the machine is automatically rolling itself
back to a previous restore point for some reason?)...try running System File
Checker (sfc command) to see if any system files are corrupt and need to be
replaced...

--
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch
Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
http://www.mtit.com

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

"Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> Mitch:
>
> Interesting; do I understand you ?
> He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
cable
> modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
> being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
> this case ?
> I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
> need to be commonality on this level at all ?
> Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
> his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
> set it ?
>

> "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
> > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Mitch Tulloch
> > ==========================
> > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > http://www.mtit.com
> >
> > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
> > name
> > > of his computer?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mitch Tulloch
> > > ==========================
> > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > > http://www.mtit.com
> > >
> > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
rights.

> > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> new

....anything unusual events logged to the System or Application log when this
occurs?

--
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch
Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
http://www.mtit.com

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

"Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> Mitch:
>
> Interesting; do I understand you ?
> He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
cable
> modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
> being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
> this case ?
> I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
> need to be commonality on this level at all ?
> Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
> his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
> set it ?
>

> "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
> > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Mitch Tulloch
> > ==========================
> > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > http://www.mtit.com
> >
> > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
> > name
> > > of his computer?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mitch Tulloch
> > > ==========================
> > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > > http://www.mtit.com
> > >
> > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
rights.

> > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> new

Some more ideas...are Remote Desktop/Remote Assistance enabled? Maybe
someone is clandestinely changing the workgroup name back...check Local
Users and Groups for unknown admin-level accounts...change the admin
password in case someone unauthorized is coming in at night to access the
machine...enable auditing for Account Logon Events and Logon Events to keep
a trail of who is accessing the maching using the Administrator
account...monitor the Workstation service on the machine because this
service is the event source for System log events indicating that a machine
has joined a workgroup...enable auditing for Privilege User and filter for
all events having ID 577 as these events indicate the current domain or
workgroup name in the Primary Domain field, that way you can try and
pinpoint the exact time when the workgroup name changes back...

--
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch
Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
http://www.mtit.com

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

"Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> Mitch:
>
> Interesting; do I understand you ?
> He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
cable
> modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
> being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
> this case ?
> I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
> need to be commonality on this level at all ?
> Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
> his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
> set it ?
>

> "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
> > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Mitch Tulloch
> > ==========================
> > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > http://www.mtit.com
> >
> > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
> > name
> > > of his computer?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mitch Tulloch
> > > ==========================
> > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > > http://www.mtit.com
> > >
> > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
rights.

> > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> new

BTW the event in System log indicating that the machine has joined a
workgroup is event ID 3260 source Workstation. Search for these events in
the System log and then examine events immediately prior to this in System,
Application, and Security logs...

--
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch
Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
http://www.mtit.com

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

"Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> Mitch:
>
> Interesting; do I understand you ?
> He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
cable
> modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
> being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
> this case ?
> I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
> need to be commonality on this level at all ?
> Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
> his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
> set it ?
>

> "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
> > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Mitch Tulloch
> > ==========================
> > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > http://www.mtit.com
> >
> > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
> > name
> > > of his computer?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mitch Tulloch
> > > ==========================
> > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > > http://www.mtit.com
> > >
> > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
rights.

> > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> new

some good ideas ; I'll be back to the client soon ; will let you know; if
any other thoughts strike you please share; I've found nothing else on the
web -

> ...anything unusual events logged to the System or Application log when
this
> occurs?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Mitch Tulloch
> ==========================
> Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> http://www.mtit.com
>
> This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
>

> "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
> > Mitch:
> >
> > Interesting; do I understand you ?
> > He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
> cable
> > modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
> > being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup
in
> > this case ?
> > I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would
there
> > need to be commonality on this level at all ?
> > Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer
with
> > his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able
> > set it ?
> >

> > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
> > > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mitch Tulloch
> > > ==========================
> > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
> > > http://www.mtit.com
> > >
> > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
rights.

> > > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
> > > name

> rights.

> > new

Just posted some additional suggestions back in this thread a bit :)

--
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch