workgroup name returns to default

Client's new XP home machine's workgroup name refuses to hold on his new
setting; oddly it will stay for a re-boot or two, and then returns to
"mshome"
10 answers Last reply
More about workgroup returns default

    Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same name
    of his computer?

    --
    Cheers,
    Mitch Tulloch

    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

    "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > Client's new XP home machine's workgroup name refuses to hold on his new
    > setting; oddly it will stay for a re-boot or two, and then returns to
    > "mshome"

    Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
    Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...

    --
    Cheers,
    Mitch Tulloch

    "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
    name
    > of his computer?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Mitch Tulloch
    > ==========================
    > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > http://www.mtit.com
    >
    > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >

    > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > > Client's new XP home machine's workgroup name refuses to hold on his new
    > > setting; oddly it will stay for a re-boot or two, and then returns to
    > > "mshome"

    Mitch:

    Interesting; do I understand you ?
    He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a cable
    modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
    being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
    this case ?
    I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
    need to be commonality on this level at all ?
    Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
    his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
    set it ?

    > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
    > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Mitch Tulloch
    > ==========================
    > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > http://www.mtit.com
    >
    > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >

    > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
    > name
    > > of his computer?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > ==========================
    > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > http://www.mtit.com
    > >
    > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
    > >

    > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > > > Client's new XP home machine's workgroup name refuses to hold on his
    new
    > > > setting; oddly it will stay for a re-boot or two, and then returns to
    > > > "mshome"

    No, I was just thinking out loud. I thought if he tried naming his workgroup
    the same as the name of a computer in a different workgroup on the same LAN
    that a conflict might arise. I was wrong though--just tried it and it works,
    and of course the NetBIOS names for computers and workgroups contain a
    hidden 16 character anyways that distinguishes between them...

    Anyway, I'll keep thinking about this and see if I can come up with
    something...

    --
    Cheers,
    Mitch Tulloch

    > Mitch:
    >
    > Interesting; do I understand you ?
    > He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
    cable
    > modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
    > being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
    > this case ?
    > I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
    > need to be commonality on this level at all ?
    > Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
    > his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
    > set it ?
    >

    > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
    > > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > ==========================
    > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > http://www.mtit.com
    > >
    > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
    > >

    > > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
    > > name
    > > > of his computer?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > > ==========================
    > > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > > http://www.mtit.com
    > > >
    > > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    > > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > new

    I've been racking my brains on this as its an interesting problem. I guess
    you've tried running antivirus/antispyware programs on the affected machine?

    Other ideas...maybe check the Startup folder, Run registry keys etc to see
    if any unusual program or script runs when you boot your machine...try
    disabling System Restore (maybe the machine is automatically rolling itself
    back to a previous restore point for some reason?)...try running System File
    Checker (sfc command) to see if any system files are corrupt and need to be
    replaced...

    --
    Cheers,
    Mitch Tulloch
    Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    http://www.mtit.com

    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

    "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > Mitch:
    >
    > Interesting; do I understand you ?
    > He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
    cable
    > modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
    > being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
    > this case ?
    > I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
    > need to be commonality on this level at all ?
    > Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
    > his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
    > set it ?
    >

    > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
    > > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > ==========================
    > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > http://www.mtit.com
    > >
    > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
    > >

    > > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
    > > name
    > > > of his computer?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > > ==========================
    > > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > > http://www.mtit.com
    > > >
    > > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    > > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > new

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    ....anything unusual events logged to the System or Application log when this
    occurs?

    --
    Cheers,
    Mitch Tulloch
    Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    http://www.mtit.com

    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

    "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > Mitch:
    >
    > Interesting; do I understand you ?
    > He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
    cable
    > modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
    > being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
    > this case ?
    > I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
    > need to be commonality on this level at all ?
    > Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
    > his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
    > set it ?
    >

    > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
    > > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > ==========================
    > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > http://www.mtit.com
    > >
    > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
    > >

    > > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
    > > name
    > > > of his computer?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > > ==========================
    > > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > > http://www.mtit.com
    > > >
    > > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    > > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > new

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Some more ideas...are Remote Desktop/Remote Assistance enabled? Maybe
    someone is clandestinely changing the workgroup name back...check Local
    Users and Groups for unknown admin-level accounts...change the admin
    password in case someone unauthorized is coming in at night to access the
    machine...enable auditing for Account Logon Events and Logon Events to keep
    a trail of who is accessing the maching using the Administrator
    account...monitor the Workstation service on the machine because this
    service is the event source for System log events indicating that a machine
    has joined a workgroup...enable auditing for Privilege User and filter for
    all events having ID 577 as these events indicate the current domain or
    workgroup name in the Primary Domain field, that way you can try and
    pinpoint the exact time when the workgroup name changes back...

    --
    Cheers,
    Mitch Tulloch
    Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    http://www.mtit.com

    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

    "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > Mitch:
    >
    > Interesting; do I understand you ?
    > He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
    cable
    > modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
    > being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
    > this case ?
    > I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
    > need to be commonality on this level at all ?
    > Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
    > his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
    > set it ?
    >

    > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
    > > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > ==========================
    > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > http://www.mtit.com
    > >
    > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
    > >

    > > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
    > > name
    > > > of his computer?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > > ==========================
    > > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > > http://www.mtit.com
    > > >
    > > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    > > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > new

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    BTW the event in System log indicating that the machine has joined a
    workgroup is event ID 3260 source Workstation. Search for these events in
    the System log and then examine events immediately prior to this in System,
    Application, and Security logs...

    --
    Cheers,
    Mitch Tulloch
    Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    http://www.mtit.com

    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

    "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > Mitch:
    >
    > Interesting; do I understand you ?
    > He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
    cable
    > modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
    > being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup in
    > this case ?
    > I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would there
    > need to be commonality on this level at all ?
    > Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer with
    > his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able to
    > set it ?
    >

    > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
    > > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > ==========================
    > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > http://www.mtit.com
    > >
    > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
    > >

    > > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > > Maybe client is trying to change the name of his workgroup to the same
    > > name
    > > > of his computer?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > > ==========================
    > > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > > http://www.mtit.com
    > > >
    > > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    > > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > new

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    some good ideas ; I'll be back to the client soon ; will let you know; if
    any other thoughts strike you please share; I've found nothing else on the
    web -

    > ...anything unusual events logged to the System or Application log when
    this
    > occurs?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Mitch Tulloch
    > ==========================
    > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > http://www.mtit.com
    >
    > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >

    > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > > Mitch:
    > >
    > > Interesting; do I understand you ?
    > > He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
    > cable
    > > modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think) this
    > > being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common workgroup
    in
    > > this case ?
    > > I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would
    there
    > > need to be commonality on this level at all ?
    > > Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer
    with
    > > his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able
    > > set it ?
    > >

    > > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > > Sorry I mean "another" computer not his own i.e. if he is on a cable
    > > > Internet connection i.e. neighborhood LAN...
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > > ==========================
    > > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > > http://www.mtit.com
    > > >
    > > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    > > > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > > name

    > rights.

    > > new

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Just posted some additional suggestions back in this thread a bit :-)

    --
    Cheers,
    Mitch Tulloch

    > some good ideas ; I'll be back to the client soon ; will let you know; if
    > any other thoughts strike you please share; I've found nothing else on the
    > web -
    >
    > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message
    > > ...anything unusual events logged to the System or Application log when
    > this
    > > occurs?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > > Mitch Tulloch
    > > ==========================
    > > Author, Trainer, Consultant, Nerd
    > > http://www.mtit.com
    > >
    > > This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
    > >

    > > "Barrett Bonden" <arthur@networks-cc.com> wrote in message
    > > > Mitch:
    > > >
    > > > Interesting; do I understand you ?
    > > > He is, indeed, on a cable internet connection: he's the only PC on a
    > > cable
    > > > modem back to the ISP - but I've seen this prior without ( I think)
    this
    > > > being an issue....are you saying that there needs be a common
    workgroup
    > in
    > > > this case ?
    > > > I've done lots of LAN's , and set up many a workgroup...why would
    > there
    > > > need to be commonality on this level at all ?
    > > > Customer gets a dynamic IP from the cable guys....if he feels safer
    > with
    > > > his own workgroup name (scared of break ins) why should he not be able
    > > > set it ?
    > > >

    > > > "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THISmtit.com> wrote in message

    > rights.

    > same

    > > rights.

    > his
    > > > new

Configuration Default Microsoft Windows XP