Sign in with
Your question

Watercooling upgrades

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2013 4:45:40 PM

i have a xspc 750 rasa rx 240 that im looking to upgrade. i was thinking about upgrading the pump and block cause i have a really hot chip. anyway when i turn the fans to 50 percent i only get about 1 degree hotter temps so i think im loosing performance in the block and pump area.

let me know what you think!

More about : watercooling upgrades

a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2013 5:57:29 PM

It's hard to tell you without concrete numbers and a spec list to be honest.
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2013 6:00:16 PM

scopey86 said:
It's hard to tell you without concrete numbers and a spec list to be honest.

hmmmmm my rig stats are normally at the bottom of my post but seem to have disappeared?? ill get that fixed

edit: should be up now
Related resources
a c 168 K Overclocking
February 4, 2013 5:39:54 AM

From your config page, your running a decently overclocked 2600k, so a rough heat output of 100W.
Better off just posting it when directly asked, sigs can be a bit annoying if you have anything complicated in them and like to break every now and then.

As you'v already figured out, the rad isnt a part of the problem.
The pump could be the issue if it was faulty and running slower for some reason. But the pump in those kits (the X20 750, V2 most likely) is more than enough for the loop you have. There are stronger pumps out there, but it wont make any noticeable difference to performance, higher flow rates beyond a point just don't do anything (and can become counter-productive).

Think it would be the block, as the Rasa is an older water-block and wasn't premium stuff at the time. Upgrading to something like a Raystorm will probably improve your temperatures, though by how much dont know.

Might also just come down to your expecting too much or standards are too high. So far you haven't mentioned any temperatures your getting. Quite simply you may just not be able to get significantly better temps unless you do something extreme like chilled coolant or use Peltiers.
If your basing performance by idle temps, Just know that Ambient temp has a huge impact on that. My CPU can be anywhere from 15 to 30c at idle depending on the time of day and season.
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2013 2:31:05 PM

the main reason for the question is because i just love to tinker and chance things. i have higher temps then normal for the cooler but i am confident that its just my chip. i have had high temps with a 212+, nh-d14, and now this cooler with the same chip and multitudes of reseats. i figured it was the block that would help the most and i have been looking around at a new one. what i have also looked into was playing around with my own designs as i have access to free CNC machine time and material and i am also proficient in Pro Engineer, so i have the ability to look at blocks that work and try to replicate that and machine that. Or totally come up with my own design with like 100 different revisions till i get it right!!! lol

anyway if you were to recommend a block what would you recommend!?!?
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 4, 2013 3:21:35 PM

Quote:
i have higher temps then normal for the cooler but i am confident that its just my chip

Can you post idle and load temps, please? Also OC and voltages?

I don't think this is an issue with radiator or block...might be pump, might be an issue with block mounting, but doubtful.
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2013 3:31:12 PM

Ah I keep forgetting 68*c max in prime95
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 4, 2013 4:48:41 PM

2600K 4.5GHZ @ 1.39v ...?

Sounds pretty typical to me, but I usually run Intel Burn Test. This isn't necessarily your watercooling loop but the fact that your CPU IHS temps are reading this at load which is different than your water temps. When you stop running Prime95, do your idle temps immediately drop down to the low 30's C or similar, based on your ambient temps?
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2013 5:33:08 PM

rubix_1011 said:
2600K 4.5GHZ @ 1.39v ...?

Sounds pretty typical to me, but I usually run Intel Burn Test. This isn't necessarily your watercooling loop but the fact that your CPU IHS temps are reading this at load which is different than your water temps. When you stop running Prime95, do your idle temps immediately drop down to the low 30's C or similar, based on your ambient temps?

Yes they drop immediately into the 20s actually.
a c 168 K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 3:19:54 AM

I know the Raystorm is fairly good, and the block itself is removable from the mounting frame. So you could make a custom mounting frame that suits your tastes.
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 4:37:10 AM

gonna try and get a block machined tmr to see how my waterblock making skills are lol. will post pictures eventually. gonna try and reduce the restriction the rasa has.
a c 205 K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 11:14:52 AM

The XSPC Rasa water block is notorious for accumulating micro particulates to the point of flow restriction across the cooling pins, and it does not make any difference of how clean you think your water is, so have you opened up the block and cleaned it out?

The XSPC Raystorm is a much better block from XSPC, it is a better cooling performer using less flow restriction, however the Rasa is still a good block when it is clean, and you can ease the flow restriction of the block by removing the small O-ring over the pins.
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 2:27:23 PM

4Ryan6 said:
The XSPC Rasa water block is notorious for accumulating micro particulates to the point of flow restriction across the cooling pins, and it does not make any difference of how clean you think your water is, so have you opened up the block and cleaned it out?

The XSPC Raystorm is a much better block from XSPC, it is a better cooling performer using less flow restriction, however the Rasa is still a good block when it is clean, and you can ease the flow restriction of the block by removing the small O-ring over the pins.

those are great ideas! i will try them! thanks
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 2:34:24 PM

Iirc theres about 3-5'c between the Rasa and Storm according to Martins tests,
I still love my Rasa but when I get the Gf's rig wet I'll be upgrading to the Storm and passing the Rasa down to her,
@Chalk, the Rasa was a topnotch block when it came out man, I'd actually say it stirred up the Wb market some and made the manufacturers focus on block design more
@Cb, upgrading already? heheh, its bitten lol, get yourself some T-Virus resses to take the edge off :p 
Moto
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 8:25:34 PM

for some reason when i bought a rasa kit i dont think i got a rasa block..... unless this is a new revision that the internet doesnt know about? any ideas cause when i look up rasa blocks the insides do not look like that.

also Ryan was right the block had some build up in the groves. cleaned it up with some vinegar.

edit: fixed links
a c 205 K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 11:27:18 AM

An earlier version?

Maybe?

Mine is definitely made different inside!

No jet plate in mine, I guess that's what the square plate with the hole in it is?

Is that plate metal?

I still have the box it came in, but there's no revision information of my block anywhere on or in the box.
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 2:24:14 PM

i emailed the company i bought the kit from and they were less then helpful. basically said that i was lying to them about the pictures being mine and that i was crazy for disassembling it but at the same time said i should have realized the mistake within 7 days for a return.... doesnt make sense. so i emailed xspc so hopefully they can shed some light on this. i just want to know what i have! google doesnt even know!
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 3:16:47 PM

I was wondering what that was myself, mine doesn't have the Square thing either, maybe you have a prototype sample? :p 
Moto
!