Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Monitor suddenly turns off

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2010 1:52:34 AM

I have having trouble with my display. When I got home today, my monitor had the orange (standby) light on, instead of the blue light on. Moving the mouse, hitting the keyboard, etc did not cause it to wake up. I rebooted my computer, and a minute or so after booting, the monitor again went to standby. The computer was clearly still on, and windows still running, but the monitor got no signal.

I checked the connections between the monitor and video card, but they were fine. The cable looks fine.

I rebooted the computer, and instead of windows, used an Ubuntu bootable CD to boot into.
After a few minutes, the monitor again went to standby, and wouldn't wake up.

I opened my case, removed my video card, and inspected it. No obvious damage. The fan is spinning fine.

Once again, rebooted, this time into windows. The monitor stayed on long enough for me to load Speedfan. I watched the temp stay fine, about 41 C, which is normal for my card, and again it suddenly turned off.

So, what is likely the problem: Video Card, Monitor, Motherboard, something else?

My video card is an nvidia gts 250, asus dark knight 1GB edition.
My monitor is an Acer X223W.
My MB is an Asus, one of the P45 motherboards. I forget the model.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, but I know it's not a Windows problem, as it happened from a Ubuntu CD as well. I believe that also rules out a driver problem.

Thanks for reading, and your help.

Steve

More about : monitor suddenly turns

Best solution

March 9, 2010 2:23:54 AM

If you have another monitor somewhere, plug in your computer to that one to check that it really is the monitor that is giving you problems. If your computer works fine then chances are something is wrong with the monitor. It sounds like the monitor is going into standby because something is telling it to or because it detects no video signal.
March 9, 2010 9:32:44 AM

The monitor does say no signal when I turn it off and on again. I don't have a spare monitor, unfortunately, to test.

Steve
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2010 10:47:23 AM

Instead of trying a new monitor on the same PC, I used the same monitor on my notebook. The monitor works fine as a display for my notebook, so I think we ruled that out.

Is the video card the most likely problem, then? If so, do I need a new one?

Steve
m
l
March 9, 2010 3:25:19 PM

I went to a store and picked up a new graphics card. Everything seems fine, for the past half hour or so. If it breaks again, I'll post again. For now, I think this is solved.

Thanks,
Mephiston1
m
l
March 16, 2010 12:48:57 AM

Best answer selected by sschnee.
m
l
May 31, 2012 4:41:02 AM

mephiston1 said:
If you have another monitor somewhere, plug in your computer to that one to check that it really is the monitor that is giving you problems. If your computer works fine then chances are something is wrong with the monitor. It sounds like the monitor is going into standby because something is telling it to or because it detects no video signal.

Yes i changed another one its working, what about the affected one?how to fix it?
m
l
May 31, 2012 4:43:03 AM

yes if i changed another one its working fine, but what about the old monitor how to troubleshoot that?
m
l
!