Sign in with
Your question

Safe to mix two VERY similar dual channel RAM sets, safe?

Last response: in Memory
November 26, 2010 7:00:08 AM

Greetings everyone, I am seeking assistance with information I was unable to gather through searching. I am looking to upgrade my PC from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM. I am on Windows 7, with a Biostar TP55 motherboard. Currently I have a set of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM, and thats all. They are the blue sticks and have a CAS latency of 7 and timing of 7-8-7-24-2N and a 1.65v. I am looking to upgrade and these sticks are current running about $87 every where I have looked. Newegg seems to be having a bangin' deal on a similar set of g.skill, however, and I am contemplating getting these now because of the price. Here is a link to those sticks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These sticks have a Cas latency of 9, timings of 9-9-9-24-2N and at 1.5v. Im aware of the slower timings, and this is why I am unsure of whether or not this will be a practical upgrade. Will it be stable as long as the original sticks speeds conform to the lower sticks?
a b } Memory
November 26, 2010 9:15:22 AM

I would say don't go for it. Since the timings and the volts are quite different. If you can find a similar RAM that you have on a deal then get that.
m
l
a b } Memory
November 26, 2010 9:19:08 AM

You don't need more than 4G of RAM for usual applications.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2010 2:08:26 PM

As mosox said, you don't need more than 4 GB for everyday use, and you have not mentioned what you use your PC for. Now if you are into video editing,heavy graphics rendering and the such than the Ram upgrade may be worth your while. As others have also said, match your ramspecs or your upgrade may actually cause you to slow your system down. just my two cents.
m
l
November 26, 2010 4:08:16 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Thats my mistake about not mentioning what I use my computer for I should have known to do that. My system is reaching low efficiency percantages in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop and speedfan shows 100% usage when in those apps. I edit AVCHD and h.264 in Premiere Pro as well as create motion graphics and titles in After Effects. So, I very much would benefit from a RAM upgrade. Ill try and find the same RAM that I originally have.
m
l
!